• 3-4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1-2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

austrolover1

Songster
Dec 14, 2015
Hey everyone!!!!!!!! You might have already noticed my Rate the Orpington thread and I am doing a project with chickens. If you would rate the Austrolorp on the poll for its egg and meat production, hardiness, etc. that would be great!!! I need at least 10 ratings before I average. Also if you rate it below 5 please tell me why! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Hey everyone!!!!!!!! You might have already noticed my Rate the Orpington thread and I am doing a project with chickens. If you would rate the Austrolorp on the poll for its egg and meat production, hardiness, etc. that would be great!!! I need at least 10 ratings before I average. Also if you rate it below 5 please tell me why! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
I gave a 9-10 rating for eggs and hardiness but I think they fail a bit for meat production. They are better meat birds than most hatchery 'dual purpose' birds but unless they are closely penned and finish-fed for a minimum of 30 days, their meat production will be far less than great and perhaps less than good.

Last edited:
I rate Australorps a 10. I don't think there is a better all round breed. They are extremely hardy in both heat and cold, calm and gentle (good lap pets), excellent layers of brown eggs, and they have a decent amount of meat on them for a dual purpose breed.

Anyone else??? I have to have at least 10 (I think I already mentioned that!)
fl.gif

I'd rate them at about a 7. Mine are on the small side. The only bird in my flock to lay through the winter this year was an Australorp, but mine only average an egg every other day. Mine are also very ditzy broodies. They just don't have a clue when it comes to taking care of chicks. My Rocks and Easter Eggers lay much better, and are bigger. The Australorps are very mild tempered, though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom