Rats in my run!! HELP!

I had an exterminator at a Hanesbrands site tell me to use instant mashed potato flakes and pour it down in their tunnels.Leave a bowl of fresh clean water out to encourage them to eat it.They'll take the food down in their dens and feed it to their babies. It may not kill the adults but the babies won't live and the colony will die out eventually.I fed it to mine 3 years and they're gone! Owls,snakes and possums also eat rats.

I had an exterminator at a Hanesbrands site tell me to use instant mashed potato flakes and pour it down in their tunnels.Leave a bowl of fresh clean water out to encourage them to eat it.They'll take the food down in their dens and feed it to their babies. It may not kill the adults but the babies won't live and the colony will die out eventually.I fed it to mine 3 years and they're gone! Owls,snakes and possums also eat rats.
download (33).jpeg

Howard E did a great article on eliminating rodents, look for the post using his name and Rats 101. The short version is sanitation, exclusion, elimination. Sanitation is keeping your bulk feed in metal cans, your coop feed in a proper treadle feeder, and cleaning up the trash and debris that allows rodents to travel around without getting caught by natural predators. If you do this part right you do not need to spend money trying to rodent proof a coop or resort to poison.

Treadle feeders, the pretty ones are easier for birds to learn to use with their big wide steps. But they also are not rodent proof at all. What you need is a narrow and distant treadle so the treadle cannot be overwhelmed and the feed eaten. Then the feeder has to have a spring loaded inward swinging door and a heavy counterweight. Most of the feeders sold on Amazon have doors that rodents can just push open, even the guillotine style overhead lids can easily be pushed up. They design with little resistance so when a bird gets clocked in the head they can pull their head out. Read the reviews carefully, the negative ones are the most important as sellers have no problem buying glowing reviews for a few bucks each from an overseas review mill.

How hard it it to train? Very easy IF you follow the directions. Don't use logic, don't pamper the birds, follow the directions. Make sure the feeder is fastened to a wall or post, not the chicken wire on the side of the coop. The feeder HAS to be solid and not rocking around. Make sure the treadle bottoms out completely on the ground, the chickens need to be able to pin down the treadle on the ground with one foot and stand on the other foot. The birds HAVE to be cooped up with ZERO other feed available including old spilled feed in the litter to scratch up. And you HAVE to let the birds get hungry, three or four hours will do. If it takes all day, you are not following the instructions. Do only what the instructions say to do, nothing else. Chickens are smart, they are all also skittish, but once they get hungry they will use the feeder.

Please share treadle brand names that you think are good ones. Which one do you use?Thanks!!

Here is Howard E's posts that I was talking about.

"To the OP (and others like them), if you will spend the time, everything you need to know about rats and how to get ride of them will be found in the links below......

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-the-video-series.1337456/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-control-101.1283827/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rat-proof-feeder-review.1180514/#post-18610285

This last one is a review of a rat proof chicken feeder built and sold by a BYC member, who is a staunch advocate for the plan of getting rid of rats by starving them out. Remove all sources of feed and they will be forced to move on or starve to death. If you are firmly against the use of poison bait blocks......for whatever reason.......then this is one of the best actions you can take. Bulk food in metal trash cans.....chicken feed in metal rat proof feeders. Can't get to the feed and birds do not spill and waste feed that the rats can survive on."

I know there are several posts about rats .. I've been giving myself anxiety reading them all and need some solid advice!!!! New chicken mom. Made several mistakes along the way but I'm learning along the way.. first mistake was a prefab coop from Tractor Supply .. I am working with what I have .. I built a larger run myself (very inexperienced carpentry skills but I managed) I did a galvinized wire mesh skirt a foot out around my entire run/coop area. I found out I have a rat(s) coming into the run at night. I assume I have had signs of them along the way but silly & stupid me didnt realize. They are digging from under my backyard fence before the wire skirt down and into the run!!! I caught one eating from the feeder. And as I read I do not have a rat I have RATS!

I am now taking the food in at night. Should I always have to continue to do this? It normally is on a hanger. I keep my stock of feed inside my house.

My plan is to put the galvinized wire mesh down on the whole floor of run and bury it with dirt. I was hesitant to do this at first with the fear it would hurt one of them. Is this a good idea?

My neighborhood zoning is wacky so I have a car garage behind my house 😐... with garbage and used car parts behind our backyard fence. So I assume the rats have a great home in the junkyard. 😒 We wont be able to move to my dream home/area for at least a few years so am I inevitably always going to have this rodent issue?

My prefab coop (knock on wood) shows no signs the rats are getting into the coop. It is raised up off ground and I have an automatic door I installed. I see no chew marks or rat poop anywhere. Just the hole(s) where it came into run and the 1 or 2 I've spotted from my back window with the flashlight.

I have severe anxiety about this... Should I buy rat traps/snapper ones? I'd hate to use poison bc of chickens and wildlife (even though I dont want rats near me or my house and chickens I feel bad killing them! or the hawks and owls that eat them) Do the plug in rodent deterrent things work? Do natural plant based remedies work like mint?

Thanks everyone!

PS posted a photo of my coop/run area if it will help.. please no negative comments .. as I said I am all new to this and learning as I go (I know the coop should be larger (I have some ideas but for now I just added perches inside) .. one day I'll have my dream coop & run! For reference I have 7 chickens (2 of which are bantams) (1 is a cockerel) .. about 20 weeks old & just started laying.. they free range in my yard anywhere from 2-6 hours a day.
I had rats coming up in the run area. I used a 5gallon container put food and poison in container, covered and weighed container down with bricks. Did this to the other holes I found around. Check the next day all food/poison gone. (rats had also moved into the nearby shed.) Then they also get into the house) It's like every 5 years rats show up. In the shed, in the house, etc. The coop and around the run I have hard wire. Food is off the ground (but that doesn't stop them).

I know there are several posts about rats .. I've been giving myself anxiety reading them all and need some solid advice!!!! New chicken mom. Made several mistakes along the way but I'm learning along the way.. first mistake was a prefab coop from Tractor Supply .. I am working with what I have .. I built a larger run myself (very inexperienced carpentry skills but I managed) I did a galvinized wire mesh skirt a foot out around my entire run/coop area. I found out I have a rat(s) coming into the run at night. I assume I have had signs of them along the way but silly & stupid me didnt realize. They are digging from under my backyard fence before the wire skirt down and into the run!!! I caught one eating from the feeder. And as I read I do not have a rat I have RATS!

I am now taking the food in at night. Should I always have to continue to do this? It normally is on a hanger. I keep my stock of feed inside my house.

My plan is to put the galvinized wire mesh down on the whole floor of run and bury it with dirt. I was hesitant to do this at first with the fear it would hurt one of them. Is this a good idea?

My neighborhood zoning is wacky so I have a car garage behind my house 😐... with garbage and used car parts behind our backyard fence. So I assume the rats have a great home in the junkyard. 😒 We wont be able to move to my dream home/area for at least a few years so am I inevitably always going to have this rodent issue?

My prefab coop (knock on wood) shows no signs the rats are getting into the coop. It is raised up off ground and I have an automatic door I installed. I see no chew marks or rat poop anywhere. Just the hole(s) where it came into run and the 1 or 2 I've spotted from my back window with the flashlight.

I have severe anxiety about this... Should I buy rat traps/snapper ones? I'd hate to use poison bc of chickens and wildlife (even though I dont want rats near me or my house and chickens I feel bad killing them! or the hawks and owls that eat them) Do the plug in rodent deterrent things work? Do natural plant based remedies work like mint?

Thanks everyone!

PS posted a photo of my coop/run area if it will help.. please no negative comments .. as I said I am all new to this and learning as I go (I know the coop should be larger (I have some ideas but for now I just added perches inside) .. one day I'll have my dream coop & run! For reference I have 7 chickens (2 of which are bantams) (1 is a cockerel) .. about 20 weeks old & just started laying.. they free range in my yard anywhere from 2-6 hours a day.
Hi, yes wire works, I did dig down a foot and laid the wire. Tied all edges to make sure there were no gaps then put the soil back, it’s been 4 months, there is some evidence of rats ‘trying ‘ to get into the pen now that colder weather is on its way but our movement activated camera shows no rats inside the pen !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom