Re-Candled Tonight for April 21st Hatch and...

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I had to toss two more Blue Orpington eggs. I started out with 47 in the bator, including Blue Orps, Speckled Sussex, Delaware, Barred Plymouth Rock and Blue & Black Ameraucana. A couple of the Barred Rocks were infertile, a couple of the Orps, one SS, a couple of peeps started to develop, but stopped for one reason or another. Anyway, the count on this hatch set for April 21st is now:

9 Blue Orpingtons
14 Speckled Sussex
4 Delaware
6 Barred Rock
6 Ameraucana

... making a new total of 39 in the bator, plus one egg I added in a vacated slot on Sunday from one of my Barred Rock hens and my Barred Rock roo, who I was about to decide was infertile. I finally got an egg with a bullseye from her so I'm incubating it to be certain. It's due on April 29, if it survives the first candling on Friday.

Now, pretty soon I'll need to work on getting the 13 chicks that are now 10 weeks old integrated into the main coop with the flock of ten hens and one rooster. That's never a fun time!

wow that is alot to eggs what are you gonna do with all of those peeps?
i am gonna set 20 eggs into the incubator of thursday it will be my first. i can't wait till they hatch

I love the breeds you've got! Speckled Sussex is another breed I think everyone should have
smile.png

Basically, I'll keep the pullets and sell the cockerels. I may, not sure yet, keep a Speckled Sussex rooster for breeding. I plan to breed Barred Rocks and Blue/Black/Splash Orpingtons for selling hatching eggs and maybe chicks to other people. The rest are just for eggs and fun.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom