Re-introducing baby chick to mama hen after an injury

ASW

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2019
It appears that one of our week-old chicks got trampled by mama hen. I just found it this morning. It is definitely hurt. I think it’s foot/leg may be broken. I’ve been researching all morning. We brought it inside to give it a chance to rest and recover. But I am concerned how long can I keep it separated and still hope to re-introduce it to its family later? Does anyone have any experience? Hand-raising it in the house with a cat is not an option here :(

How many chicks are there total? You may be able to get a compatible chick to serve as a companion to the injured chick, and keep them together while the chick heals. That way, the chick has a buddy if it's rejected by the broody later.

Be aware that a broody can be heartless when it comes to taking back an injured chick. You may end up brooding the two separately and integrating them back into the group later.

Do worry, the two chicks will survive in spite of rejection.

How many chicks are there total? You may be able to get a compatible chick to serve as a companion to the injured chick, and keep them together while the chick heals. That way, the chick has a buddy if it's rejected by the broody later.

Be aware that a broody can be heartless when it comes to taking back an injured chick. You may end up brooding the two separately and integrating them back into the group later.

Do worry, the two chicks will survive in spite of rejection.
There are 6 chicks total. Just to make sure I understand, it would be better to pull out another chick and it may be easier to re-introduce them together later?

I've had it go both ways. It will strongly depend on the hen. One took the chick back after 3 weeks away - yes, weeks. It was a bad break in 2 places and it had skinned its leg 3/4 of the way around - got the leg stuck in a place where 100+ chicks had been in and out and around … and never gotten hurt, sigh, then struggled to get out until I got home and found it. There were only 2 siblings to the injured chick, so I had that one with me at all times. Actually when I returned him, part had healed so I could pin the rest of the leg up, and as soon as I did that, the chick started scooting around like nobody's business. So not only did she take him back, she accepted a chick hopping around on one leg, as did his sisters.

The other time after 3 days for an injury that had some bleeding, the hen rejected both the injured chick and its companion (8 chicks, so mom kept 6)- so they grew up together separately until mom weaned the siblings and stopped making momma hen noises. Because of course they would hear her and think MOMMYYYYY!!!! And she would go after them, and the siblings (unfortunately mostly cockerels that time) challenged them too when mom chased them off.

Yes, pull out a chick as a companion to the injured one. This serves multiple purposes. Chicks need to be part of a chick "unit" which gives them confidence. It also makes it easier to reintegrate them since there will be more than one, one chick sometimes receiving unfair focus from the rest.

As @Shezadandy points out, you just never know how a broody will react to a chick being removed and brought back. It's definitely an individual thing. You won't know until you try to bring the chicks back.

Just know that the two chicks will be fine, and they will fit back in eventually.

I'm going to share this thread because it had the best chick sling design I've run across that I wish I'd seen when dealing with mine. I ended up using crinkle paper - like heavy, heavy construction paper - to support his weight in a chick-sized box, which he was pretty comfortable in.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-with-severe-leg-issues.1334066/page-1

Post #8 by @Kattnchick --- hopefully it's OK that I'm reposting the picture of the chick-support setup:
1887188-c0954ab6641279c515e8cdc07e85d21d.jpg

If you can regularly handle the chicks that are still with broody it might help down the line to sneak the other ones back in.
One keeper could handle the broody chicks and one day just set back down two with the one she picked up.

I'm going to share this thread because it had the best chick sling design I've run across that I wish I'd seen when dealing with mine. I ended up using crinkle paper - like heavy, heavy construction paper - to support his weight in a chick-sized box, which he was pretty comfortable in.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chick-with-severe-leg-issues.1334066/page-1

Post #8 by @Kattnchick --- hopefully it's OK that I'm reposting the picture of the chick-support setup:
1887188-c0954ab6641279c515e8cdc07e85d21d.jpg
Maybe down the road. She is mostly resting right now. Gets up and wobbles to eat and drink. She must have got stepped on by the hen repeatedly as her wing seems to be injured somewhat, though she is able to move it. She peeps, eats, drinks, poops. I really hope to be able to put her back with the rest eventually. Going to get another chick now

Back
Top Bottom