Re-Introduction not going so well....

Chick named Lola

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Maryland
I've had a sick hen inside for almost 2 weeks...I know it's like introducing a new chicken at this point. I don't really see how I can seperate or section off the coop/run while they get used to each other again...that will leave someone outside for the night and she is way too skinny for that.

It's only one hen that attacks her. No blood because I stopped it both times. They are avoiding each other but when they happen to get near one another...it's on.

Lola has her strength back and is walking normally now, she's just thin. What can I do to help this situation.

I have 5 hens. Here is a pic of the coop/run (pic was taken during construction...it has a tin roof and hardware cloth all around and a foot into the ground. The original run is attached to the coop and that is the only way in/out. I wish I could use that for Lola but then the others can't get up to lay during the day. So not sure how to handle it?

You could try keeping the aggressor in side the garage for a day to see if that will bring her down a peg while you reintroduce the other. I know that it can be trial and error when reintroducing chickens back to the coop.

Oh that is a wonderful idea! I'm going to do that right now...hopefully no one else will attack her! Thank you for the suggestion, heck it's already all set up for Lola so why not? Hubby's gonne LOVE this...NOT. He will just have to deal. lol

I'm no help but beautiful coop
thumbsup.gif

I had the same problem, but the sick girl was only removed for 3 days!
I didn't think that was enough to warrant a whole re-introduction, but when I first put her back in with the others, one hen, in particular, seemed to be on a "search and destroy" mission to get her!

Since the others seemed ok, I removed the aggressor and put her in the garage for a 24-hour time-out on her own (just as someone else suggested to you).
When I returned Ms. Nasty-pants back to the flock, I did it at night, after she and the others had been roosting/sleeping for awhile.
There were a few pecks, but they all quickly settled down for the night.
The next morning, things were FAR better. The nasty one is still on her case from time to time, but it's just the usual pecking order business, not a full-fledged attack.

Now I have to worry about my poor Faverolle, at the bottom of the pecking order...they've all been pecking at her beard/muffs lately...They used to be such nice girls, but since they've all started laying, they are all such witches!
barnie.gif

I had the same problem!

One of my BO's was attacked by a possum and I had to separate her for her recovery. Her sisters really pecked at her when she was ready to go back in with them. I ended up putting the dog kennel that she had been resting in, in the run. I opened the door of the kennel so that it was stuck open against the wall and wedged the kennel up against a wall as well, giving her a private yard within the run. I put food and water in there. If she wanted to get out, she could hop up on top of the kennel and into the run but could also safely hop back into it. She would go in the coop on her own every night with the others. Eventually she was out of the kennel on her own more than she was in, so I removed it. She is still at the bottom of the pecking order unfortunately but she's not pecked at half as much as before.

Good luck! Hope that made sense
big_smile.png

You could also put the hen you're reintroducing into a wire dog kennel for a day or two within your coop so that she's w/ the group and the rest of the flock can have time to adjust to her. They can see one another, but no worries about fighting.

I'm having this problem right now. I've separated my girl (she was broody, and everyone attacked her when she decided to rejoin the flock). My plan is to get a new rooster, introduce my girl to him first, and have them rejoin the group together, with her (hopefully) as the favored lady.

Friends suggested separating two of my chickens, so that when I reintroduced them, there would be two to accept the abuse (my poor hen has a bald bloody spot on her head!) But when I tried this, the other hen attacked my abused hen. None of my other girls are nice at all. :(

Back
Top Bottom