Really sad day = Lost one of my horses

luvarabhorses

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Hector, Ar
Friday, Florange and I went for a really nice ride. I rode Tara, who is an absolute blast to ride, he rode LT. We tried out a new trail and it turned out to be really pretty, clear and wide, a great adventure. Headed back after about an hour and a half because we hadn't been riding much with all the rain and both us and the horses weren't that fit. Tara is 20 and Lt is 22. We hosed them off, groomed really well. I gave them some electrolytes and a bute. We had just walk, trotted, but they are mountains...All was well.
Yesterday, Sunday, afternoon I notice a horse was stretched out in the field. We headed out and saw that my beloved Tara had died! I loved that mare. I talked to the vet, she thinks she probably got a twist or was just struck by lightening. I hope it was the lightening. I confess, we checked on them Saturday eve, but I was busy Sunday morning. I talked to a local guy and he said it was just her time. When we turned around to head back I dropped the reins and Tara actually went left at a Y instead of right, she had wanted to keep going. When I told the guy this, he said animals often know when they are going to die, and she was probably trying to spend as much time with me as possible. We were really close. She would do absolutely anything for me. I have so many wonderful memories of her. She had so much heart and was so enthusiastic, it is really hard to type this. I told a story on Cara's thread about how at one point I thought she was a complete idiot and in the course of her healing from an injury, we came to trust each other. I owned her for the last ten years. She went from me being afraid for my life if someone were to rattle something in a tupperware to ponying a young horse with a rope clamped under her tail. All I can say is Tara, I love you and I will miss you.
16532_009.jpg

Salons Tara
May 10, 1990 - May 24, 2009
thank you God for bringing her into my life.

I'm so sorry for your loss
hit.gif
hugs.gif
Tara sounds like she was a wonderful friend, I'm so glad you had that last ride on her Friday. Hang in there.

Nancy

I am sorry for your loss. I have had two horses die over the years and it is always hard. One was about 35 and the other, a draft horse, was in her twenties. We just found them dead in the pasture one morning. They had showed no signs of illness or distress the day before. It was just their time.

Back
Top Bottom