Reasons to get Bantams Instead of Regular Hens?

Nutcase

Songster
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Has anyone got any pointers? I don't have the big run I've always dreamed of so I thought it might be better to get bantams as they're smaller. What are the Benefits of Bantams?

Bantams are so cute! I love my Nankins.

Bantam eggs are small though, and they go broody a LOT so don't lay during that time. If you really need a lot of eggs get yourself some large fowl red sex links or another breed that lays really well.

LOL I just saw you raise red sex links.

Well what I mean is that if you are used to an egg a day practically with your sex links, you will be disappointed with bantam egg laying. They have a stretch where you think they are laying great but then stop for longer periods of time than the large fowl. This is what I have found to be true for me. Maybe others have different experiences.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/66122/tell-me-about-bantam-egg-laying-please

But I just LOVE bantams and would not want to ever be without them again. I took a break from bantams and really missed them.

They do eat less. So when they are laying they are actually more efficient in my opinion than some of the very very heavy breeds that have to eat a lot to keep up all that body weight.

Also they poo less so when you are cleaning the coop it is fabulous! Just fabulous!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the information, @ChickensAreSweet . The good news is with a family of our size, no flock will be big enough to provide enough eggs so I'm really just looking at bantams as pets. I assume they're more likely to be taken by cats? We've lost a RSL pullet to a cat before and there are many in the neighbourhood...

Thanks for the information, @ChickensAreSweet . The good news is with a family of our size, no flock will be big enough to provide enough eggs so I'm really just looking at bantams as pets. I assume they're more likely to be taken by cats? We've lost a RSL pullet to a cat before and there are many in the neighbourhood...
Yes cats will stalk them. Hawks are more likely to go after them too.

They can fly pretty well too (bantams) unless they are silkies. My Nankins don't like to stray far from the coop so I don't have to worry about them going over the fence. Some bantams are more adventurous than others.

Last edited:
Do you have netting protection for your flock? How could I deter cats?

This was back when I had silkies. You can see the netting on the left pen. I have it strung so that the snow will not bend and bow the fencing. It is tied onto the t and u posts with metal wire (the rope is tied). I wove the rope through the netting along the edge. It took hours to set this up. The snow falls through it unless it is the wet snow that adheres to the netting. But you are in Australia...maybe you don't have to worry about snow.

The netting is not over the whole chicken pen, and my bantams will venture forth to the unprotected area now, so hopefully I don't have too many losses. I used to keep them locked up under the net only.

When I see a cat I go outside and chase it. I have witnessed a cat attack on my chickens before (actually had problems multiple times).

Wow looks great. We've had several cats invade our yard and they all caught a tennis ball in the stomach, but they keep coming back. I do have a cat, but he's almost 15 years old and not really an effective guard. Netting is probably the way to go, I suppose. Another quick Q': are they more prone to disease/infection than a regular chicken?

I have found that bantam chicks are more delicate and die more easily. Other than that, I am not sure what the official word is, but I haven't really noticed much of a difference. They aren't as cold hardy so might have more of a problem with cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom