Rebuild in northern Maine

Liddy

Songster
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
I'm planning a rebuild of my coop for this spring. It's been 5 years since I commenced chickenkeeping. My coop complex grew as needed and never according to a serious plan once the initial coop was completed.

Over those 5 years, I have learned a lot, including the importance of proper ventilation!

The current coop complex is in a former equipment shed bolted onto the north side of the garage. The shed measures about 10' x 24'. Most of the exterior walls are insulated with R-31 or R-19 batts. The rear 10' of the exterior, north-facing wall is covered by the insulation but the front 14' has the original soffit vents. I've added windows to the west (rear, where prevailing winds come) and the east (front, where we also leave the door open during the day) walls. Those are open at least a quarter of the way unless it's really stormy and blowing rain or snow into the coop.

20190308_191803.jpg The rear window. Those bars are occupied only on the outer ends during winter. In warm weather, they cluster in front of the window.

20190308_191923.jpg The view from the front of the coop to the rear. The Infirmary is behind the hens on the roosts to the right. These front roosts are the preferred location for hens in the winter night. At one point, I had a recessed roosting area enclosed on 5 sides, elevated with a poop board as the bottom. The 18 hens I had at that time loved it. I'd like to incorporate a similar roosting area in the new configuration.

20190308_192005.jpg A slightly different perspective of the scene above.
20190308_192128.jpg The view from the outside in. The area just inside the door is devoted to storage and a workbench.
20190308_192152.jpg The enormous amount of snow we have this year...It drifted into the coop and kept the door from closing completely.

Winter weather is bitter cold here in northern Maine and after the first winter I stopped heating the coop. Oy! My January electric bill was $400 with one heat lamp! I've only had a few minor frostbite issues, mostly on roosters with huge combs and wattles. Only one hen has died on a night where the temp dropped to -31 degrees. I suspect she had vulnerabilities because after her death, I got no more eggs with a depressed area of the shell. The chickens just hunker down and tuck their heads under their fluffed-up feathers. With the snow piled up 3' deep (6' this year!) outside the pop doors, I keep the chickens in for months. I've had too many in there for the past two winters - 60 at the peak. My plan is to maintain a stable winter flock of 20-25.

I love the concept of having different areas of the coop devoted to different purposes. I did enclose a raised box (24" x 30") outside the initial coop as an infirmary. That has been used as a brooder (with Mama Heating Pad!) as well as isolating injured hens. I know I need a grow-out area for chicks. A neighbor reported me to Animal Control last year for free-ranging chickens (I think they discovered her garden; every morning when they were released, a sizable contingent headed purposefully up the hill) and I installed the Henitentiary, a 6' chain-link fence. When we designed it, we included a 8' x 14' area behind the coops with its own pop door and a gate into the main hen yard. That will be the grow-out area, once I reinforce the chain link with hardware cloth for 2'.

@aart, what are the other areas you now wish you had included?

I currently have a space for feed and litter storage, a workbench with a wall of tools, the Infirmary, the grow-out coop, and an area for the adults. The grow-out area and the adult area can be combined or separated as needed. I like that flexibility and will formalize the division.

Should I uncover the rest of the soffit vents? I'm considering adding a couple of other window panels that I scrounged from demolition in the area, inoperable for ventilation but adding lots of light.

Any feedback and suggestions are welcome!

@aart, what are the other areas you now wish you had included?
I wished I had several more smaller pens, with run access, for more breeding options.
Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my set up.

Should I uncover the rest of the soffit vents?
Yes, if they will open to the coop.
Got any pics showing the whole outer roof and interior 'ceiling' configurations?
Always good to have a floor plan sketched out(to scale on graph paper) to think out space changes.

Planning for snow removal is good so birds aren't stuck inside all winter.

I wished I had several more smaller pens, with run access, for more breeding options.
Other than that, I'm pretty happy with my set up.

These would have their own runs then? I'm considering making the whole coop area into three divisions. I'm just not sure about where to put access to the different areas.

Yes, if they will open to the coop.
Got any pics showing the whole outer roof and interior 'ceiling' configurations?
Always good to have a floor plan sketched out(to scale on graph paper) to think out space changes.

Then I shall open those soffit vents. Not a huge job and it will increase ventilation.

I will have to draw up a floor plan and post it. Fortunately, the shed is a shell, without any interior structural members to work around. I'll look through my photos to see what I have. Most of my pics are of chickens themselves rather than their accommodations.

The interior ceiling/exterior roof is simply a sloped roof covered in metal, visible in the last pic in my first post. The inner coops are constructed to run up to or close to the ceiling. In one area, the hens last year became inventive in worming their way out into the work area so I cobbled together some lattice to block them. (After installation of the Henitentiary, I had to clip their wings to keep them confined. A few did not take kindly to limits on their ability to range.)

Planning for snow removal is good so birds aren't stuck inside all winter.

And that is and will be quite problematic. This winter has been the worst...so far, we have had more than 17 FEET of snowfall. (My snowblower cannot handle that much, so it's good I know a guy with a new John Deere tractor equipped with a huge blower who's having way too much fun playing with it and charges minimal fees. :clap) The metal roof dumps into the Henitentiary, blocking that pop door. The coop shed is a few feet shorter than the main gambrel roof, and the snow from the upper roof comes down more frequently and in front of the rear pop door and beside the main man-door. I would like to rig up a roof that extends over the rear run to permit the flock access through the winter. That would mean I'll have to wrap that run in whatever the fabric is called that blocks snow but allows air to go through it.

These would have their own runs then?
In my mind, yes, and have seen others like that.

I built my coop inside a large shed and planned for one 4x6' seclusion area created with a temporary wire wall and a separate people door for my access. I later added a pop door and separate smaller run for that area. It's worked out quite well, I just wish the area was larger and that I had more of them.

Hi! I live in southern Maine and am re-building our chicken coop this year as well (enlarging it to also house goats! yay!). We've kept chickens since 2006 and learned a lot over the years, so I feel pretty good about my plans, with the exception of my ventilation.

We're building a 12' x 20' small barn which will have a 5' x 10' coop for the chickens (6 hens.) Our first coop was insulated, the second wasn't, and I plan to insulate this one. (I DO realize that heavy-breed chickens adapt to the cold and don't really need insulation. But I always feel bad for them when it's so bitter outside!) I'm also making all of the openings into the main barn area weatherstripped and tight to keep chicken dust out of the rest of the barn as much as possible. I'll be milking my goats in there.

I also plan on having a brooder built into the henhouse. I am SO OVER having all that dust in the house, and here in Maine it isn't isn't warm enough in early spring to have chicken outside unless you have a really good, draft-free brooder that won't experience large temperature changes when you open it to feed/clean. (I learned this the very hard, heart-breaking way...)

We free-range most of the time, but have an attached pen roofed with clear poly roofing panels that gives them a mostly snow-free area in winter (my husband also snow-blows paths for them around the yard, haha.) I intend to build this pen this time with a removable wire panel to section off part and a separate pop-hole from the brooder to that area for the chicks. Since we found that buried wire eventually rusts through, we'll set a sole plate on a cinder block "foundation" for the pen walls and division.

Nest boxes are accessible from the barn interior, so we won't have to walk into the coop and get poopy shoes twice a day. Our poop board will be upgraded to the 24" wide rimmed Sweet PDZ plan popular here. I will have one door opening into the barn and another opening to the outside for cleaning out. The floors will be covered with vinyl flooring wrapped several inches up the sides with the top edge secured with wood strips. SO easy to clean! (I'll also put vinyl on the poop board.)

For ventilation I will have double-hung windows that can be opened just a crack at the top in cool weather (top of windows is well above roost height.) But I'm really stymied about what to do when it's below zero outside. Even if I have a few small 2" screened holes up near the ceiling, would I want to be able to close them entirely when it's that cold? Our last coop was in a loosely-made shed, so there was always air movement even in deep winter, so I don't know what would happen in a more tightly built, insulated coop.

What do you think, Liddy? Other folks in very cold climates, what are your thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom