Recently received authorization to get more birds

enrgizerbunny

Songster
8 Years
Mar 7, 2016
Virginia, USA
After much persistence and debate, I finally convinced my wife to let knew her a couple new chickens. I currently have 3 golden comets and wanted to breed suggestions.I'm leaning toward gold laced wyandottes or Rhode Island red, mainly on aesthetics.

After much persistence and debate, I finally convinced my wife to let knew her a couple new chickens. I currently have 3 golden comets and wanted to breed suggestions.I'm leaning toward gold laced wyandottes or Rhode Island red, mainly on aesthetics.

That's according to what you want-----if you want good laying chickens---The RIR, If you want Pretty and "some" eggs get a Wyandotte.

I am not sure I can help with the wife Deal---but here is what I/we do---My Wife and I never talk about if we can get this or that unless it concerns both of us-----meaning if we get a new house, or a new family car---then we talk about it. If she wants a new pair of shoes or a new pocket book, clothes, new pot or pans she gets it. If I want a new chicken or gun, or this or that---I get it-----I had 1232 chickens 2 years ago and if I had of wanted 100 more I would have gotten them---LOL. Our thing is I do not ask my Wife to feed and take care my 1232 chickens---they are mine(sure if I was sick she would gladly do it) She does not ask me to wash and put away her new dishes, pots and pans, etc, etc. We are happy!!! Hope that helps!

In addition to the great link that CTKen gave you, here's another good one.
http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

The first thing is to find birds that are adaptable to your climate. Then find those with characteristics that suit your personality, desires for egg production (numbers, size, color), meat quality and feather color.

It isn't always the case but RIRs tend to be bullies in a mixed flock.

Back
Top Bottom