Recommended prebuild/prefab coops/sites

The Amish coops I have heard are well built (some of them) but without much ventilation. They're also kind of pricy.
The problem is that almost every prefab coop is too expensive and improperly built in some area of construction. That's why most people here don't have experience with them because they read other's horror stories and just went and built their own (just my opinion).
I think the TSC Sentinel is a good coop, (if it gets ventilation and better locks) but you could only fit two hens in there. I've not yet seen a coop that was big enough for six hens and fit all the other criteria.
I hope you are able to find a good coop. Maybe you could get one of those chain-link dog kennel things (the big ones, you know) and put a cheaper (not as predator proof but also bigger) in there. Then for an extra layer of protection it would be fairly easy to zip tie hardware fabric around the dog kennel (though nothing is easy with hardware fabric!). Hope this helps!

A hoop coop is SO doable.

And you even inset the door (meaning size had to be precise)!

I built a hoop run last fall, trim boards (that will properly anchor the hardware cloth) and skirt still to be added when things warm up here, and I just made my door overlap. That way it doesn’t matter that my doorway ended up out of square and I did not need to be precise at all with the measurements of the door, it just needed to be an inch or more larger than the opening in all dimensions.
IMG_1894.jpeg
IMG_1896.jpeg

That hen is confused about why I am locked in the run (with the day’s veggie scraps that I just tossed on the run floor) and she is locked out! The snow is off the hillsides so they are back to free ranging with the run door open for food, water, and nest box.

While I'm sure a hoop coop would be fine and dandy and doable by myself. My husband has a bit of say in the look of the yard. Plus we're in an area where the neighbors have to see whatever is in my yard so I was trying to have it somewhat nice looking or even matching the house color wise. Sure it complicates things a bit but I may have a few leads on some local folks who can help finally.
That's a pretty fair point. Short of 'hiding' it behind some lattice like Blooie did in the links above, a hoop coop looks like a hoop coop.

I think your next best options are converting a shed, going Amish style (and still expecting to make some changes such as ventilation), or hiring somebody to build you something.

I know you're looking for prefab coops, but I'd just like to let you know I never built anything either until last summer, and then I made a catio and a rabbit pen. It's really easy to just put a frame together. You're in North Carolina, so I'm assuming it's hot most of the time? You could make a rectangular pen out of 2 x 4's and cover it with hardware fabric. Then put in some nest boxes and roosts and a covered area for when it rains. It would be a lot cheaper and more sturdy for the amount of chickens you want. I can get some pictures of mine if you'd like :).

Now for prefabs, I have the TSC Sentinel Coop and I used to keep four chickens in that, but they free ranged pretty much from morning to night. That's a fairly sturdy coop but it has no ventilation and you need to upgrade the locks, otherwise predators can get in with ease.
Yeah I'm still looking around and all. I've been asking around for a while and no one in the area really does coops. My biggest worry about building my own is making sure it's sturdy and holds up. I may have scared myself by watching a fair amount of coop building videos and it looks so complicated to make it sturdy. My husband may literally exile me to the chicken coop if we spent all of that and didn't end up with a functioning coop haha. (not really but it'd suck all the same)

So after a lot of discussion and being in a small town and not having a selection of handy craft builders in our area to work with for building a coop (and our lack of knowledge and not wanting to take a year to try and figure out building a coop from the ground up having never built anything).

Looking for recommendations on sites to look over for coops. The idea currently is 6-10 chicken size coop.

I found chicken coop company and they seemed pretty solid but I wanted to ask here. I do like Roost and root but they are a little out of budget and seem on the small side for the price to say the least.

I know most will tell me build my own but I've been putting off getting chickens for 5 years now (I joined this site about 5 years ago and have done nothing but lurk and ask questions over the years, I used to own chickens when I lived up in MD but that was many years ago and I want to go back to being a chicken keeper now heh). But I think our best option is to pay a bit extra for a prebuilt we can put together, learn from that and when we move 4-5 years down the road to hopefully the acers we want to buy.. we'll be more ready for building our own then.

I was also recommended the the producer's pride coop from tractor supply, but I'm sure there are better options than that one?

Producer's pride - TSC
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-guardian-chicken-coop-14-chicken-capacity
Chicken Coop Company
https://www.chickencoopcompany.com/...p-designs/products/the-rhode-island-homestead
Go on Facebook marketplace and buy a used wood shed. Add ventilation, then cover the holes securely with hardware cloth. Add roosting bars, nesting boxes, and a chicken door. Then get T posts, and welded steel fencing and put up a fence, Then cover the fence with 1/2 hardware cloth and at the bottom, secure it then run on the ground 18-inches. Cover the run with what is needed based on predators.

So after a lot of discussion and being in a small town and not having a selection of handy craft builders in our area to work with for building a coop (and our lack of knowledge and not wanting to take a year to try and figure out building a coop from the ground up having never built anything).

Looking for recommendations on sites to look over for coops. The idea currently is 6-10 chicken size coop.

I found chicken coop company and they seemed pretty solid but I wanted to ask here. I do like Roost and root but they are a little out of budget and seem on the small side for the price to say the least.

I know most will tell me build my own but I've been putting off getting chickens for 5 years now (I joined this site about 5 years ago and have done nothing but lurk and ask questions over the years, I used to own chickens when I lived up in MD but that was many years ago and I want to go back to being a chicken keeper now heh). But I think our best option is to pay a bit extra for a prebuilt we can put together, learn from that and when we move 4-5 years down the road to hopefully the acers we want to buy.. we'll be more ready for building our own then.

I was also recommended the the producer's pride coop from tractor supply, but I'm sure there are better options than that one?

Producer's pride - TSC
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-guardian-chicken-coop-14-chicken-capacity
Chicken Coop Company
https://www.chickencoopcompany.com/...p-designs/products/the-rhode-island-homestead
In central illinois there are multiple small companies that sell prebuilt small sheds and typically they also have small coops that are much better quality than any of the kits at TSC and other stores. They deliver them assembled. They definitely cost more but I think you will regret getting a prefab kit. My neighbors were in your boat last year and now they have thrown a bunch of money into trying to secure what they have while planning to invest in a entire new set up this year. They also wanted to get 3-5 years out of the initial investment.

I certainly understand wanting to get back up and going this year! Are there any options to have a coop delivered in your area?

Very nice! The inward swinging door helps ensure snow won't block the door. . .

My door is hardware covered cattle panel. I didn't even need to hang real hinges. I have it raised up so that I don't have to worry about snow blocking it.

We were definitely thinking about snow when we chose the door swing, though it would barely have been a problem this winter!

I saw a door like yours — maybe actually yours — on here in the past and I think saved a picture of it, because it seemed like a great solution. But as it happened we had lots of extra (salvaged) lumber and no extra cattle panel so it turned out that wood & hardware cloth were the way to go for us.

But for the OP, the moral is that there are a lot of ways to construct a simple but usable coop/run! If carpentry isn’t your thing, T-posts and zip ties (preferably metal for longevity) etc. will get you a long way. I’m comfortable with saw & drill/driver but give me hammer & nail and it’s 25/50/25 whether I’ll drive the nail, bend it, or whack my finger. So in my case the cattle panel is not attached with fencing staples. Instead I have it sandwiched between 2x6 base frame and a 1x3 attached by screws. We all improvise based on our strengths!

Here's one in your area for sale... Only 24 SQ ft but it's a start for super quick coop..

https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/for/d/shannon-shabby-chick-style-chicken-coop/7727222669.html

Edited.. I re read the add. They build coops 👍
Actually I was chatting with the person who makes those, they take down old sheds and bards and reuse what wood is still viable after sanding, washing and retreating. :D

In the midst of trying to figure dimensions that I'll need for a starter group of 4-6 chickens and leaving room to rotate new chicks in/hatch them down the road.

Back
Top Bottom