Recommended prebuild/prefab coops/sites

And you even inset the door (meaning size had to be precise)!

I built a hoop run last fall, trim boards (that will properly anchor the hardware cloth) and skirt still to be added when things warm up here, and I just made my door overlap. That way it doesn’t matter that my doorway ended up out of square and I did not need to be precise at all with the measurements of the door, it just needed to be an inch or more larger than the opening in all dimensions.
View attachment 3776175View attachment 3776177

That hen is confused about why I am locked in the run (with the day’s veggie scraps that I just tossed on the run floor) and she is locked out! The snow is off the hillsides so they are back to free ranging with the run door open for food, water, and nest box.
Well, I managed to get the door frame plumb and level, but the door wasn't. I had to jury-rig it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fuzzis-chicken-journal.1550586/post-26557799

So after a lot of discussion and being in a small town and not having a selection of handy craft builders in our area to work with for building a coop (and our lack of knowledge and not wanting to take a year to try and figure out building a coop from the ground up having never built anything).

Looking for recommendations on sites to look over for coops. The idea currently is 6-10 chicken size coop.

I found chicken coop company and they seemed pretty solid but I wanted to ask here. I do like Roost and root but they are a little out of budget and seem on the small side for the price to say the least.

I know most will tell me build my own but I've been putting off getting chickens for 5 years now (I joined this site about 5 years ago and have done nothing but lurk and ask questions over the years, I used to own chickens when I lived up in MD but that was many years ago and I want to go back to being a chicken keeper now heh). But I think our best option is to pay a bit extra for a prebuilt we can put together, learn from that and when we move 4-5 years down the road to hopefully the acers we want to buy.. we'll be more ready for building our own then.

I was also recommended the the producer's pride coop from tractor supply, but I'm sure there are better options than that one?

Producer's pride - TSC
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-guardian-chicken-coop-14-chicken-capacity
Chicken Coop Company
https://www.chickencoopcompany.com/...p-designs/products/the-rhode-island-homestead
In central illinois there are multiple small companies that sell prebuilt small sheds and typically they also have small coops that are much better quality than any of the kits at TSC and other stores. They deliver them assembled. They definitely cost more but I think you will regret getting a prefab kit. My neighbors were in your boat last year and now they have thrown a bunch of money into trying to secure what they have while planning to invest in a entire new set up this year. They also wanted to get 3-5 years out of the initial investment.

I certainly understand wanting to get back up and going this year! Are there any options to have a coop delivered in your area?

Very nice! The inward swinging door helps ensure snow won't block the door. . .

My door is hardware covered cattle panel. I didn't even need to hang real hinges. I have it raised up so that I don't have to worry about snow blocking it.

We were definitely thinking about snow when we chose the door swing, though it would barely have been a problem this winter!

I saw a door like yours — maybe actually yours — on here in the past and I think saved a picture of it, because it seemed like a great solution. But as it happened we had lots of extra (salvaged) lumber and no extra cattle panel so it turned out that wood & hardware cloth were the way to go for us.

But for the OP, the moral is that there are a lot of ways to construct a simple but usable coop/run! If carpentry isn’t your thing, T-posts and zip ties (preferably metal for longevity) etc. will get you a long way. I’m comfortable with saw & drill/driver but give me hammer & nail and it’s 25/50/25 whether I’ll drive the nail, bend it, or whack my finger. So in my case the cattle panel is not attached with fencing staples. Instead I have it sandwiched between 2x6 base frame and a 1x3 attached by screws. We all improvise based on our strengths!

While I'm sure a hoop coop would be fine and dandy and doable by myself. My husband has a bit of say in the look of the yard. Plus we're in an area where the neighbors have to see whatever is in my yard so I was trying to have it somewhat nice looking or even matching the house color wise. Sure it complicates things a bit but I may have a few leads on some local folks who can help finally.

While I'm sure a hoop coop would be fine and dandy and doable by myself. My husband has a bit of say in the look of the yard. Plus we're in an area where the neighbors have to see whatever is in my yard so I was trying to have it somewhat nice looking or even matching the house color wise. Sure it complicates things a bit but I may have a few leads on some local folks who can help finally.
That's a pretty fair point. Short of 'hiding' it behind some lattice like Blooie did in the links above, a hoop coop looks like a hoop coop.

I think your next best options are converting a shed, going Amish style (and still expecting to make some changes such as ventilation), or hiring somebody to build you something.

That's a pretty fair point. Short of 'hiding' it behind some lattice like Blooie did in the links above, a hoop coop looks like a hoop coop.

I think your next best options are converting a shed, going Amish style (and still expecting to make some changes such as ventilation), or hiring somebody to build you something.
My hoop coop is hidden behind my shed...
IMG_20230815_184012388_HDR.jpg

;)

My hoop coop is hidden behind my shed...
View attachment 3776990
;)
I behind my shed is another neighbor's yard :'D

I have neighbors on three sides with my main saving grace that all 3 are well aware (as well as others in the area who encourage chickens) hehe. But for the sake of the neighborhood.. we're trying to get something that looks good, we don't need out here looking like some of the streets more in the city area that are cluttered up. Though the above hoop coops are nicer than a lot I have seen by far. One I had found somewhere had trimmed the bottom with wood and it looked pretty sleek but if I'm getting something build or looking into a shed .. I think It'd fit better to the yard look over all.

On the note of a shed.. we'd have to get one that is in parts and set it up in the back there.. I always forget that we have a double sided gate on the one side so ideally a shed could be wheeled in.. but a giant tree was allowed to grow there so it's in the way of that idea..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom