Recreating the American Game Bantam

Here’s one for the teacup line I pulled off of free range this evening… 4oz. She isn’t singing yet though, so she is still going to grow some. I don’t think she’s going to double in size though. View attachment 2791020
She’s so tiny! I wish my bantam Buckeyes would give me some smaller ones. XD
They’re all oversized.

Here is another gen 2 free ranger I pulled in today. She is 12oz.
4D5C8C22-E012-4C38-9923-A3894EEE377B.jpeg

Its becoming clear that of all of my Gen 2s, only 1 male and 1 female are meeting the required weight range for American Game Bantams. All the rest are coming out tiny. I like the tiny ones, but I also have to make sure I’m line breeding the right birds together for the AGB standards. This weekend I may recalibrate my breeding pens. I had a nice group of bitties from the right sized Gen 2 stag to Gen 1 hen, but this cottonmouth killed them all.
4290D9D7-48AD-41C3-82EE-3DEBD584ECDE.jpeg

Its becoming clear that of all of my Gen 2s, only 1 male and 1 female are meeting the required weight range for American Game Bantams. All the rest are coming out tiny. I like the tiny ones, but I also have to make sure I’m line breeding the right birds together for the AGB standards. This weekend I may recalibrate my breeding pens. I had a nice group of bitties from the right sized Gen 2 stag to Gen 1 hen, but this cottonmouth killed them all. View attachment 2801115
Aww! That's a scary snake!

Unfortunately the little blue red 4oz hen I had such high hopes for was naturally selected out of the tea cup project. I woke up this lazy Saturday morning to find a sharp-shinned hawk chewing her head through the chicken wire of the apron of the coop I put her in. Apparently she went through the first layer of fence (horse wire) and was eating grass behind the second layer (chicken wire) when the sharp shinned descended on her and caught her penned under the wire. I've never see that happen before.

She has a sister that is the same small size but is dirty white. I try to breed away from white.

Unfortunately the little blue red 4oz hen I had such high hopes for was naturally selected out of the tea cup project. I woke up this lazy Saturday morning to find a sharp-shinned hawk chewing her head through the chicken wire of the apron of the coop I put her in. Apparently she went through the first layer of fence (horse wire) and was eating grass behind the second layer (chicken wire) when the sharp shinned descended on her and caught her penned under the wire. I've never see that happen before.

She has a sister that is the same small size but is dirty white. I try to breed away from white.
Do you have a picture? Could be a splash breasted red/splash red, which has a 25% chance of occurring when two blues breed together.

I just found her and snapped a pic for you. Is this it? If so, what’s the possible outcomes if I cross her back to a blue red?View attachment 2822399
Yes, she’s a splash red. Natural outcome of breeding two blue reds. They can only be prevented by not breeding blue to blue.
Blue red x splash red - 50% blue red, 50% splash red
Splash red x black breasted red - 100% blue red
Splash red x splash red - 100% splash red

Yes, she’s a splash red. Natural outcome of breeding two blue reds. They can only be prevented by not breeding blue to blue.
Blue red x splash red - 50% blue red, 50% splash red
Splash red x black breasted red - 100% blue red
Splash red x splash red - 100% splash red
Thank you.

What an unhappy decision that I left the splash red on free range because I viewed her as expendable and cooped the blue red because I wanted to maximize the chances of preserving her. Yet the cooped bird was killed by a hawk and the free range bird survives.

I’m going to start a separate thread for the AGBs I’m breeding that are coming out Serama-sized. This thread will remain open for breeding to the official AGB standards.

Back
Top Bottom