Refrigerate the eggs, or not?

It would depend a lot on how hot it is where you live and also what temperature you keep your house. I've kept eggs at room temperature for several weeks in the summer with no issues. They generally don't need to sit that long around here because between eating them and selling them, they're usually gone pretty quickly.

We do, I'm not sure why, we've just always kept eggs in the fridge...in the egg section!

We're in the UK so it's not exactly warm!! Ah well, they get eaten quickly anyway so prob doesn't make much difference.

Both.. often they stay in my hallway on a marble top cabinet BUT they usually end up on the floor so i toss them in the fridge, i can keep better track of them there but i know you don't have to refrigerate.

In the summer months how long would you say they last? Presuming room temp would be higher than average. Thanks

I would say depends on the temp of the room, my front hall is always cooler than my main house, hence my drop zone for my eggs being there BUT ya'know, the float test is pretty effective and simple for checking eggs, i also date all mine.. i forget otherwise..

I would say depends on the temp of the room, my front hall is always cooler than my main house, hence my drop zone for my eggs being there BUT ya'know, the float test is pretty effective and simple for checking eggs, i also date all mine.. i forget otherwise..
I forgot about the float test! Thanks for the reminder.

It would depend a lot on how hot it is where you live and also what temperature you keep your house. I've kept eggs at room temperature for several weeks in the summer with no issues. They generally don't need to sit that long around here because between eating them and selling them, they're usually gone pretty quickly.
Good to know- thanks.

I also read an article about washing eggs- how washing breaks the protective bloom around the shell and allows bacteria in. So I have not washed my eggs- just wipe them off, then wash my hands. It was interesting to read also that commercial eggs are washed with bleach! - That to me seems more distasteful, so to speak, than just wiping them off.

Here is the article in case you are interested- http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2011/10/eggs-to-wash-or-not-to-wash.html

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom