Regulations in Louisiana

Derrin

Chirping
Sep 29, 2018
SW Louisiana
I am sure this has been answered before I just cannot find it. I know there are people from Louisiana here that might be able to answer this question. I plan on raising quail for egg production and meat. I will be using two varieties of courtnix quail for this purpose. I do plan on trying to get with local markets, sell at farmers market, and sell from my home.
The product list I am planning on selling within the next year is:
1. Eggs for consumption
2. Hatching eggs
3. Live birds
4. Processed birds

I have seen that for quail the Louisiana wildlife site says I need a permit and a permit from the federal government. However the federal government states I only need a permit if the bird is on the Migratory bird treaty act. The Louisiana department of wildlife states only domestic birds need a permit. And the Poultry and egg information I have found only specifies chicken eggs. I am looking for regulations in Louisiana, Calcasieu parish to be exact.
Oh and I called the department of wildlife and fisheries here in Lake Charles and they were confounded by this question.

Thank you very much.

If I understand the state regulations correctly you only need a permit for indigenous species. You will probably not get a straight answer asking a person. I wouldn't worry about it a lot of people raise jap quail here

Where I live, selling birds and eggs is no problem. I think processed birds may require an approved facility. Let us know how it goes!

Where I live, selling birds and eggs is no problem. I think processed birds may require an approved facility. Let us know how it goes!

Just got off the phone with the meat and poultry regulator in Baton Rouge who said they do not do an inspection till you reach 20,000 processed birds a year. To contact my local health department. The local health department said to make sure I have cleanable surfaces such as stainless steel, ect. Have a three compartment sink system and then call them for them to.come do an inspection. That in Louisiana in my area you need to pass a food safety inspection like a restaurant.

Today I checked with four agencies before I found out about shipping eggs, fertile eggs, and live birds. Wanted to make sure if I needed to be NPIP certified. I will try to post later the exact text I finally received but short answer is no NPIP for quail needed. Unless shipping internationally.

Hey Derrin, I will be watching this thread. Something I would like to do in the future. When you say eggs for consumption, are you going to try pickling? I love me some pickled quail eggs. Wife makes awesome pickled quail eggs. :drool

Back
Top Bottom