RELEASING CORTURNIX

chickbird

Songster
May 4, 2009
HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE WITH RELEASING CORTURNIX BACK INTO THE WILD. I HAVE SOME OLDER ONES THAT I DO NOT WANT TO SLAUGHTER AND WOULD LIKE TO GIVE THEM FREEDOM.

My experience with pen raised birds is that although they retain many wild instincts they are relatively easy targets for predators.

You might want to check with your states fish and wildlife department as a lot of things are illegal to "return" to the wild. for a million reasons. check first then I agree with Sourland that they are not "wild" enough and make easy prey.

I am afraid my opinion would be that it is more humane to cull them :( They probably would not last long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you do not wish to cull them, why not build them a small wild-like habitat, make it a retirement pen. Wouldn't need to be much, maybe a three sided (and roofed) area a couple feet wide for them to get out of weather, and a run area with grass, sticks, etc. in. Since you know you won't be putting any chicks in this cage you can use chicken wire (I find the plastic type to be less expensive and much easier to work with) and there doesn't need to be a real complicated gate system as you can leave any eggs they lay and clean them out once every few months or so. ?

Or post them on craigslist. Maybe someone will take them in as pets. I agree however with previous posters - you would not be "giving them their freedom" at this point it would just be neglecting to properly feed and house them until they die. :/

Back
Top Bottom