Repetitive soft eggs

Ex-Bats-Owner

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 27, 2011
I have 3 ex battery hens, had them nearly a year now, however one of them regularly lays soft eggs. She can go days without laying, then maybe lay a normal egg (hers tend to be very large) and then the next day lay a soft egg. There seems to be no set pattern as to what she will lay, if she does..
She doesnt ever seem poorly with it, always has access to both grit and larger oyster shell mix and has the same diet as the other two who have never laid a softy.
Is it likely she may be coming to the end of her laying cycle or is this just Barbaras way?

I have a silver lace that lays a large egg every day...almost always a round dented crack on the rounder end. I keep plendy of fresh cut bahai in the nestbox but it is still cracked on that one end. I put pelletized oyster shell in their feed on the ground every where and feed them layena...but still a crack

Woops sorry, shes older then a year as is a rescue hen, as far as im aware they 'move the chickens on' at around 72 weeks although im not sure of the exact age when we got them, but we have looked after them for a year now. The soft eggs she lays are paper thin and have a weird texture. Im hoping its just her putting alot of energy into making the bigger ones and thats why she doesnt produce everyday! Its certainly not a problem and aslong as shes okay its fine, just a bit confusing!

Back
Top Bottom