Request of Info: How Do You Ship Chickens?

krturpie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 11, 2007
Maryland
I am interested to hear anything people might know about shipping chickens across the US.

I've heard that it can be done through the USPS, but if this is true, are there any limits in distance? Is USPS the best or safest choice or are there other options?

I am mostly concerned about how the chickens would fair on a really long trip (say about 2000 mi). Also, some rough idea of the cost would be useful.

Yes, chickens can be shipped anywhere in the U.S. that can receive overnight (1 day) Express Mail deliveries from you.
Newly hatched chicks and ducklings/goslings can be sent priority mail (2 days). You will need to talk to the person who handles Express mail at your post office and make sure that he/she can schedule it for you. They have to be sure that the box will get to the airport, fly to the recipients area, and be trucked to the post office for pick up or home delivery..... all within the 1 day/overnight parameters.

As for cost.... it is expensive.... count on at least $35 shipping for a single box, depending on the destination and the weight. You can estimate the cost at the USPS Rate Calculator site which will also give you an estimate as to when the package would be delivered (next day or 2 days).
( http://postcalc.usps.gov/ ) Add up the weight of the size box you will use plus the weight of the chicken(s), plus some extra for shavings/hay and a piece of fruit. Put in the fruit so that the bird has something to eat that contains water/fluid.
In addition to the shipping charges, you will need to buy a special shipping box with biofilters (required for shipping all birds except newly hatched chicks, ducklings, and goslings. Horizon (formerly PetPorts.com) now at http://www.hm-e.net/ makes biofilter protected boxes for shipping "lives". Some feed stores carry a few. If you are shipping more than one bird, you can tape up to three single boxes together to cut down on the costs or put them in a larger box if they wont fight. A single box will hold one adult stantard chicken or two bantams if they arent too big.

The USPS now contracts with Fed Ex for a lot of the Express mail, and there have been a lot of complaints that Fed Ex doesnt seem to know what "overnight" means when it comes to shipping live animals. It took nearly 3 days for my box of geese to arrive in CA from TX. Somehow, they had spent an extra night in TX and then a night in Memphis (!!) before finally making it to the wrong airport in CA!

Chel

Wow. Thanks Eggchel for that informative (and a little scary) response. I hope that your geese faired ok.

I have two cockerels to ship to Arizona from Maryland, and I'd hate to think of them being waylaid somewhere in a cramped little box. I will definitely check with folks at the USPS. Experience tells me that the usual clerks behind the counter at our local PO are going to be less than helpful. Still, better to ask.

Silly sounding question, but do the birds have any problems with flying? Fuel fumes on the tarmac, the hours of noise and the dry, low pressure air of most pressurized cabins can be a tad rough on humans sometimes. Could this pose more of a problem for chickens? Is there anything that one should do or look for when receiving chickens after such a long journey?

Sorry, got busy, Yes, the geese were all fine, just filthy and very thirsty. We opened the box right on the loading dock at the Postal mail center and gave them water. The post office also gave a full refund on the shipping since their overnight guarantee took 3 days!

Ive had a number of birds shipped quite successfully and without any problems, though, so I am not adverse to shipping birds at all.

Chel

Glad to hear that they got through alive.

I agree with RR that perhaps this post should be a sticky. Or perhaps someone could set up a tutorial or FAQ webpage somewhere?

It's tough getting info on shipping. I just spent a half an hour on the phone with our local USPS, who had no idea of what to do. I didn't think I'd get very far asking in a city or suburban post office. But, I've gotten some phone numbers for more rural offices that might, which I'll follow up.

Thanks again for you help.

Last edited:
Hi, Last year I bought birds from MacMurray hatchery. Various breeds of pullets. 25 plus an extra. I went zooming to the post office after they called. I could hear my birds chirping in the back ground and I couldn't help but want to yell through the phone "MOMMY"S COMING"! When I picked up the birds I asked "Is there another box"? I was amazed that 26 birds could be cramped into such a small little box. I opened the box and all birds were alive and well. As soon as I got them back to my house (I lived 5 minutes from post office) I gave each one water before putting them in their brooder. Boy were they glad to get out of that little box. Every single bird survived and were oh so healthy, I must say. I was very amazed. This box looked to be 8 inches x 8 inches with 25 birds in it! I'm not kidding. What's my point,,,,gee, I'm not sure,,,just rambling I guess. Just wanted to tell people that it works and day old babies traveled just fine to my house.
smile.png
Julie
Eggchel, I'm so glad your geese were okay when they arrived. You sound like a good mommy! Glad they refunded you too!!! Good job! I'm so glad you posted that they were okay,,,I was wondering the same thing!!
smile.png

My concern this time of year is the freezing temps in the airplane baggage compartments. Most (maybe all) airlines won't let you ship dogs/cats during these cold temps because of that. I'm assuming that's the case with chickens too?

Back
Top Bottom