RESCUE ROOSTER HAS BROKEN LEG!! HELP PLEASE!!!

ChickenNamedTaterTot

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 23, 2017
A neighbor has hens and a couple os roosters. She just didn't want them anymore and so i took them. This rooster is now named Jamison Fawkes and he was attacked by an animal while living with his previous owner. She did a good job keepin infection at bay but his leg keeps bending at the joint more and more. We tried to make a splint but seeing as i wasnt expecting 6 chickens my supplies are limited. We used some strong cardboard and medical tape and his ladies pecked it off. Please, i want to help him and do good for these chickens. I dont know his age so i can give that info. But please please help me.
20171201_054653.jpg
20171201_054926.jpg
20171201_054807.jpg
20171201_054918.jpg
20171201_054653.jpg
20171201_054926.jpg
20171201_054807.jpg
20171201_054918.jpg
20171201_054918.jpg
20171201_054918.jpg
20171201_054918.jpg

I'm sorry you didn't get more than one response.

The photos are blurry, so I'm not sure what I'm seeing exactly. Are you saying where his leg is bending, it's actually broken? That's not his knee joint? The leg is broken and is folding more and more at the break point?

He doesn't have any feathers around his neck?

If that's a break, I know they can mend, but what's the timeline on when this happened? Is a bone protruding? If the hens are pulling bandages off of him, he should be separated from them, but I wouldn't isolate him so that he doesn't have companionship. Do you have a dog carrier or wire cage of some kind? Are all the hens bothering him? Is there one you can separate with him?

I think depression is a concern at this point, but as for the leg you would need to take some photos that are in focus, not blurry, and outside in good lighting so we can clearly see what's going on with his leg.

I'd give him some protein for strength, like canned tuna (no salt) or salmon. There are other protein options.

Hopefully others will jump in and offer you some guidance on what to do.

If you can get some vet wrap or cohesive bandage at the store, you can try splinting it again. Instead, though, you can place him in a dog crate with his own food and water, inside the coop, where he can be with his flock, but they will not bother him or his splint. The forced rest may help him heal even if you do not splint. The other rooster may take advantage of the situation, and run him off or hurt him. Most small flocks can only have one rooster, or they will fight, plus the hens will be harassed.

Greetings ChickenNamedTaterTot,

Such a great looking rooster, a "Turken" or more commonly, a "Naked Neck".

He really should have a Veterinarian, take care of this. An x-ray would show whether or not this is fixable.
If a Vet is not an option, go for it. But, don't let him suffer.

Make a sling for the rooster. Put him in it to protect the break.
chicken sling quick.jpg
chicken sling.jpg

Then, splint the leg.
Here is an excellent video to help you.

Looks like it could be a dislocation and not a break. Either way, it needs to be addressed. The clock is ticking!

leg anatomy:
leg anatomy.jpg

If there is no open wound, Preparation H applied to the adjacent areas, will help with any swelling.

Keep those hens away for at least 48 hours, he needs to get healing. However, scar tissue is already developing.

Do your best, then provide a quite enviroment, and good supportive care. Which includes: cooked meat protein or cooked eggs, diced fruit, diced black or red grapes, fresh greens, cooked grains like: brown rice, wheat berries, oat groats, pearl barley, also some toast with butter is good. Always offer him moist and dry feed daily.

He should have soft foods while healing, at least a week or two.

If you have probiotics, give him some. Also, some poultry vitamins. Follow the product instructions.

Clean fresh water daily. I like to add some echinacea tea or aloe vera, to boost the immune system.

If it is really cold where you live, put him in the house, in a safe a room. Keep him out of drafts and windy conditions till he is fully recovered.

These are my thoughts...I hope they are helpful.

God Bless!

Jamison Fawkes is adorable and blessed to have you as his new mama hen.

Please ask any questions you have and you'll be sure to get some good guidance throughout this process. @Eggcessive's suggestion is a good one.

You may also need to do a sling for him to remove some weight from that leg. But I'm honestly not sure how it goes with delayed treatment for a break like that. Does it calcify and remain crooked for life, or can it be wrapped and set and healed?

Start with the crate and the wrap. Once you get a routine going on daily care for him, it'll get easier for both of you. I'm going through something similar with my rooster Henry.

Keep us updated, okay?

Greetings ChickenNamedTaterTot,

Such a great looking rooster, a "Turken" or more commonly, a "Naked Neck".

He really should have a Veterinarian, take care of this. An x-ray would show whether or not this is fixable.
If a Vet is not an option, go for it. But, don't let him suffer.

Make a sling for the rooster. Put him in it to protect the break.
View attachment 1204786 View attachment 1204787

Then, splint the leg.
Here is an excellent video to help you.

Looks like it could be a dislocation and not a break. Either way, it needs to be addressed. The clock is ticking!

leg anatomy:
View attachment 1204807
If there is no open wound, Preparation H applied to the adjacent areas, will help with any swelling.

Keep those hens away for at least 48 hours, he needs to get healing. However, scar tissue is already developing.

Do your best, then provide a quite enviroment, and good supportive care. Which includes: cooked meat protein or cooked eggs, diced fruit, diced black or red grapes, fresh greens, cooked grains like: brown rice, wheat berries, oat groats, pearl barley, also some toast with butter is good. Always offer him moist and dry feed daily.

He should have soft foods while healing, at least a week or two.

If you have probiotics, give him some. Also, some poultry vitamins. Follow the product instructions.

Clean fresh water daily. I like to add some echinacea tea or aloe vera, to boost the immune system.

If it is really cold where you live, put him in the house, in a safe a room. Keep him out of drafts and windy conditions till he is fully recovered.

These are my thoughts...I hope they are helpful.

God Bless!
Well, of course @Hen Pen Jem posted at the same time as I did. And there's the sling setup for you!!

ETA: This is another one of those naked neck chickens, then? Who invented them? Why are they naked?

Back
Top Bottom