Resilient embryos

WalnutHill

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
SE Michigan
During this maiden voyage of my home built cabinet incubator, a few needed modifications to improve hatching came to light at the first hatch of chicks. Unfortunately it was running SO well I set more eggs, so when it came time to lockdown my second set of eggs, I moved them the the old LG which had been warming for a day and was holding steady.

The next day passed uneventfully, but the following morning I came down to my desk and found the temperature at 109F. The eggs were hot to the touch, and the temp could have been that high for as much as 8 hours.

I set the lid and heating element aside, and let the eggs cool. This is risky, as thermal shocks to the immature systems can be fatal in themselves. As they cooled, I tried candling, but at 18 days it's hard to see anything. So I resorted to water candling to see if they were all soft boiled, or if any may have survived.

Four out of 16 moved. But, always hopeful, I put all 16 back in my homebuilt to take their chances with lower humidity than I wanted. Today I had to top up the water, breaking lockdown, so I examined and water candled the rest. I now have ten wigglers, including the "too heavy to float" egg which was still yesterday. Once again, all are in lockdown.

If any of these chicks hatch, they will be my miracle babies. All are EE from my flock of red sex link hens and EE roos. I still don't have much hope that they will be strong or healthy and I hope I don't have to cull them after hatching, and don't know if they will be in a condition to hatch.

I will post the results as they happen. Hatch is due Thursday.

Oh well I may need your help if that's ok. I have a chick that hatched yesterday. Only one of his eyes will open. He won't stand. And one side of his head seems bigger than the other.he leans his head to the left. He is active but doesn't act normal

Give him a few days and make sure he is drinking. Add poultry vitamins to the water, or give him some baby vitamins without iron. If he doesn't improve in a few days, then yes, that may be the right decision. I had to cull two that didn't hatch quite out quite normal and didn't get better.

If I ever have a high spike like that again I may just freeze the eggs and cull them in the shell.

Of the 16 eggs in the set, only 10 showed signs of life after the 109F exposure.

1 hatched with all of yolk and a swollen blood filled vessel hanging out. It ruptured the yolk. I washed the yolk off and popped it back in the hatcher, fully expecting this scrawny little beast to die soon. Well, it is on its feet and active, hollering and harassing the others. However, as it has no nutritional reserves it needs to learn to eat and drink very quickly.

The second is perfect. No drama there.

The third hadn't quite absorbed all its yolk and is resting quietly.

The fourth seems to have neurological issues, it does not look like it will try to get up, it just lays on its side and quivers its foot. This one will probably be a cull.

The fifth has no muscle tone in its neck. It pipped and had its beak out, but that's it. This one will probably be a cull.

Two eggs are still viable but haven't pipped. One was due today, the other tomorrow.

Eggtopsy showed that the sinker just had an exceptionally large chick, no air cell to speak of. Another egg had a nearly 50% air cell, the others had "normal" air cells. Most of these had been dead in the shell since the heat exposure based on the stage of development, but a couple had died in the last 24 hours.

Back
Top Bottom