Respiratory Issues

robininhishand

Chirping
Feb 28, 2020
I made the mistake of getting 2 older hens from a source on craiglist that wasn't the best. The man had bought chickens from a chicken house apparently. the 2 I got are sneezing and you can hear respiratory distress in their throats. But no discharge from eyes or nose. I have treated with herbs that are supposed to kill viruses, haven't done anti-biotic yet (due to the cost). the hens are eating, drinking and being active. I can take them back, but hate to do that as I am not sure how they will be treated. I already am attached to them. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you

Take them back unless you want to infect other chickens and spend lots of money on a chronic respiratory disease which will make all of your chickens carriers. Antibiotics may help treat symptoms of MG, but it stays in their bodies for life. Viruses such as infectious bronchitis lasts about a month, and makes them carriers for months. Are these your only chickens? I only get chickens from a hatchery or feedstore because of the risk of diseases.

Last edited:
I made the mistake of getting 2 older hens from a source on craiglist that wasn't the best. The man had bought chickens from a chicken house apparently. the 2 I got are sneezing and you can hear respiratory distress in their throats. But no discharge from eyes or nose. I have treated with herbs that are supposed to kill viruses, haven't done anti-biotic yet (due to the cost). the hens are eating, drinking and being active. I can take them back, but hate to do that as I am not sure how they will be treated. I already am attached to them. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you
Do you have a flock at risk of catching what these birds have? I would say just give them back and seriously disinfect everything

Take them back unless you want to infect other chickens and spend lots of money on a chronic respiratory disease which will make all of your chickens carriers. Antibiotics may help treat symptoms of MG, but it stays in their bodies for life. Viruses such as infectious bronchitis lasts about a month, and makes them carriers for months. Are these your only chickens? I only get chickens from a hatchery or feedstore because of the risk of diseases.
OK, thank you. I will take them back. I have babies I got from Tractor Supply that are not nearby

Keep an eye on your rooster for the next month. Watch for any eye bubbles, swelling of the face, sneeze, head shaking or mucus from the beak. Hopefully he has not been exposed to a disease that he will eventually pass on to the chicks. Chickens can become carriers at a place they have previously lived, and during the stress of being kept caged and transported during a move, suddenly show symptoms.

Keep an eye on your rooster for the next month. Watch for any eye bubbles, swelling of the face, sneeze, head shaking or mucus from the beak. Hopefully he has not been exposed to a disease that he will eventually pass on to the chicks. Chickens can become carriers at a place they have previously lived, and during the stress of being kept caged and transported during a move, suddenly show symptoms.
OK, thanks so much. praying he hasn't gotten it. what an expensive lesson (in time)

Back
Top Bottom