Resting Shipped eggs?

It is best to rest for 12 to 24 hours after receiving the eggs to give the air sacks a chance to reattach if possible. Don't turn them just let them sit.

OK I just got through a hatch of shipped eggs so here is my story...I received eggs from southern ID. and some from NC. I only live about 300 miles from south ID so those eggs never had to fly and were handled much less than the ones from NC. I received both packages on the same day and I let them rest for 24hr fat end up in an egg cartons. Then I put them in the bator with the turner off until day 4,at day 10ish I candled.I saw that almost all my eggs I got from s.ID had almost perfect air cells,but the ones from NC had 1 good air cell and 15 bad ones.and 4 of those stopped developing at this point so what happened in the end was i got a 80% hatch rate on the eggs that didn't "fly" and a 10% hatch rate on the eggs that came from NC and were in an airplane,all though i had most of the chicks go full term they just weren't able to hatch.The ones that did hatch were very weak compared to the others and needed a little extra TLC. I read that 4 different guys from different time periods did the same experiment,where they did 4 separate batches of eggs where on one batch they turned eggs every day,another they didn't turn at all,one they turned day 4 through 7,and the last they turned day 8 through 11. In the end they found that they eggs that they only turned on day 4 through 7 had all most the same hatch rate as the ones turned every day. Maybe that my be the trick to hatching eggs with messed up air cells,,,only turning day 4 through 7,and not turning again.I also noticed that the air cells that were messed up were pretty big by day 10 and huge by lock down,so maybe a little higher humidly also,maybe 50%+,Ill be getting some more shipped eggs soon and Ill try this idea,and let you know how it works.

OK I just bought some Delaware eggs from "rushlanepoultry" off of eBay they should be here Friday and Ill do the aforementioned hatching method and let you know how it goes. These eggs are from south Carolina this time.

eggs are in the bator 99deg and 58% hum turner is off for the next 4 days then turned on till day 7 then off again for the remainder of incubation....is the OP still here or is this a waste of time?

I got shipped eggs. First try nothing hatched. I didn't let them rest, it was my first time with shipped eggs. Second set of shipped eggs i let rest for more then 24 hours, half hatched. All made it to day 18 live. ALL had detached air sacks. I currently have 6 healthy chicks.
It was suggested to me AFTER this hatch that i let them set for 48 hours at 50 degrees 50% humidity (my dad was the source of that info)

Oh and the first 3 days in the incubator I didn't turn them. My dad told me not to because of the detached aircells. I had them in egg cartons in the incubator the first 3 days.

Back
Top Bottom