Reusable Canning Lids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

animalsRawesome

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
Has anyone here ever tried, or even heard of, the Tattler lids? I saw an add for them in the September/October Hobby Farm Home Magazine and looked them up on-line... some people have been using them for 30+ years, but most claim they use the same lids for about 10 years.

I have not used them, but they look most interesting . . . . it appears that you do need to purchase new gaskets on a regular basis. I believe that I'd opt to keep rings on the lids to keep them from getting chipped or knocked off.

It's amazing what one can learn about on this website. That's for sharing your find.

I went and looked up information about them. From the tattler website (below):

How They Work
TATTLER Reusable Canning Lids require using a slightly different process to ensure optimal seal results.

The most important steps to remember are numbers 5 and 7 which MUST ALWAYS be followed properly.

We recently updated (August 2011) our instructions in order to make it easier for users.

Tattler Reusable Canning Lids – Instructions for Use
  1. Inspect top of jar for cracks and nicks.
  2. Wash, rinse and sterilize jars. Scald lids and rubber rings. Leave in water until ready to use.
  3. Fill jars as indicated per canning instructions for that food type.
  4. Wipe top of jar after filling. Place lid and rubber ring combination on jar.
  5. Screw band on jar loosely. Center lid on jar and hold in place with finger while tightening the metal screw band finger-tip tight. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. Product must be allowed to vent during processing.
  6. Process as per instructions for various foods.
  7. TIGHTEN METAL BAND FIRMLY IMMEDIATELY UPON REMOVAL FROM CANNER.
  8. When jars have cooled, remove metal band and lift gently on the lid to determine if any failure has occurred. Sealed jars may be stored without metal bands if desired.
  9. When removing lid, gently insert dull side of table knife (or similar object) between rubber and lid or jar to release the seal – DO NOT USE SHARP KNIFE.
  10. Wash plastic lids and rubber rings, rinse, dry and store for future use. Do not save any rubber ring which is cut or deformed.

... it appears that you do need to purchase new gaskets on a regular basis. I believe that I'd opt to keep rings on the lids to keep them from getting chipped or knocked off.
Hmm, I could be wrong, but I interpreted it as you only had to buy new gaskets after about 10 years.

And, on a different note, why am I not receiving email updates/notifications like I used to? I don't get updates for this thread, or any other thread... I guess I haven't gotten them for awhile, but I just didn't notice it... HELP!!!

No have not tried them so far. I was raised on a farm in germany. We had european style glass jars with reusable rubber seals. For meat we had a real canning machine that would use metal cans.

I bought them on a super sale, if you like them on FB or twitter I believe they send you sales/discounts. I have not used them yet due to being on a canning hiatus this year because of a move but there are several blog posts about them if you Google them. You have to replace the seals after many uses not each time, according to the directions included they will last many canning seasons before needing replacement, Hope that helps!
http://homesteadrevival.blogspot.com/2010/09/canning-tutorial-tattler-re-useable.html
http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/blog/
http://momskitchencooking.blogspot.com/2010/09/tattler-reusable-canning-lids-review.html
http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-lids.html

Last edited:
Grrrrrr!! The lids are plastic.

This topic really interested me, as we started to can this summer (in a water bath canner-high acid salsa & jams). We are contemplating the purchase of a pressure canner (beans/corn/meat).

When looking at the lids, they looked like they are glass (like the inside of old zinc lids). I was thinking about ordering some and learned that they are plastic (not glass).

animalsRawsome: I see that the gaskets are thick and it does look like they could be used multiple times. . . .

Wouldn't it be neat if they could make a porcelain coated metal lid or glass lid with thick rubber that was reusable?. . . .Then, I"d have more of an interest.

After learning that they are plastic, I won't be ordering any of them. There's a great deal of concern about plastics/food. . .remember when we'd get most of our food from the grocery store in glass bottles. . .now jars are mostly plastic (even peanut butter)? Plastic is causing problems for some and that made me look into processing more of our own food (in glass/metal lids).

Most of us can to save money and provide our family with good, healthy food. I made the decision to forget about these reusable lids based on. . . I don't want to put our food next to plastic. I froze most of our bounty for years and wanted to get back to good old glass. Everybody is different and I can see the cost savings in reusable, but, for me, USDA approved for food, or not, I'm not buying.

Below is a recent e-mail I got that really hit home when I was researching these lids. Now this is about "safe" water bottles--they are safe right? But. . . . . . .I'm cautious. Here's the e-mail (sent to me-Liz from a different Liz) :

Got this from a good friend, thought you might like to see this information Liz
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A friend became very sick after drinking water left in a car overnight (not cancer) but she was ill for a couple of months.

No matter how many times you get this E-mail,
Please send it on!!!!
Bottled water in your car is very dangerous!

On the Ellen show, Sheryl Crow said that this is what caused her breast cancer.
It has been identified as the most common cause of the high levels of dioxin in breast cancer tissue..

Sheryl Crow's oncologist told her: women should not drink bottled water that has been left in a car.
The heat reacts with the chemicals in the plastic of the bottle which releases dioxin into the water. Dioxin is a toxin increasingly found in breast cancer tissue.
So please be careful and do not drink bottled water that has been left in a car.
Pass this on to all the women in your life. This information is the kind we need to know that just might save us!
Use a stainless steel canteen or a glass bottle instead of plastic!

LET EVERYONE WHO HAS A WIFE / GIRLFRIEND / DAUGHTER KNOW PLEASE!

This information is also being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center ...
No plastic containers in microwaves.
No plastic water bottles in freezers.
No plastic wrap in microwaves.

Dioxin chemical causes cancer, especially breast cancer.
Dioxins are highly poisonous to cells in our bodies.
Don't freeze plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.
Recently the Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital , was on a TV program to explain this health hazard.

He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us. He said that we should not be heating food in the microwave using plastic containers.....
This especially applies to foods that contain fat.

He said that the combination of fat, high heat and plastic releases dioxin into the food.

Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food... You get the same result, but without the dioxin ..
So, such things as TV dinners , instant soups, etc., should be removed from their containers and heated in something else.
Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's safer to use tempered glass, such as Pyrex, etc.

He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the styrene foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons....

Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Cling film, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave.
As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.
Cover food with a paper towel instead.

This is an article that should be sent to anyone important in your life!

I reuse my lids...and most of the time they seal sucessfully...
many times I find..it is the new lid that isn't the one that seals..
I find on a whole kerr lids more sucessful but if you can get ahold of older
packages..they are the best
thank you for the plastic info...will not ever have water bottles in a car again...

It's the lesser of two evils for me, BPA lined standard metal lids or BPA free reusable not adding to the landfill every time I open a jar Tattlers. I understand where you are coming from but they do not touch the food after the processing and as far as a survival item I think they are valuable to have in case lids become scarce which is why they were invented in the first place back in the 70's.

It's the lesser of two evils for me, BPA lined standard metal lids or BPA free reusable not adding to the landfill every time I open a jar Tattlers. I understand where you are coming from but they do not touch the food after the processing and as far as a survival item I think they are valuable to have in case lids become scarce which is why they were invented in the first place back in the 70's.
X2 for me, Frogdogtimestwo, but I do see what you're saying also, Midwest Lizabeth. Thanks too for the water-bottle info!!

Back
Top Bottom