Review and advice on chicken coop and run

Sinton4616

Chirping
Jan 8, 2023
Sinton, TX
New member here, been a long-time lurker while I was researching chickens and coops. I REALLY like the Carolian Coop style but realize it wouldn't work for our property. Incorporating multiple designs, I'd like to share my rough plans and get some feedback. These are rough.

Overall, from top down.
1673202113730.png

Coop is 4' x 8' and run is 10' x 14'. Would have a sloped metal roof with 10 feet on the West and 8 feet on the east. This would provide me plenty of space for the 8 hens and potentially 2-4 more when introducing new hens during chicken rotation. Figure maybe 1-2 months of 12 birds, but erroring on the side of caution. The entire run is enclosed in 1/2" hardware cloth and predator apron.

From the West looking East.
1673202055686.png

I plan on a 10-foot height, 14-foot run with a walk-in door. The summer months in Texas, winds are mainly from the East and South-East. With the brutal sun on the south and west sides. This view shows the framing with the coop on the north side and east. I plan on covering the run with hardware cloth and a solar shade zipped tied to it.

From north side looking south.
1673202175082.png

The coop is located on the east side, where the neighbor's oak trees will provide a lot of shade in the morning and as the sun moves from east to west, shade the coop during the heat of the day. Coop is elevated to help air flow under the coop and cleaning. Three nesting boxes are located outside the coop for easy access and a large window, not sure if I'll keep it solid wood or Plexiglas yet, will open to allow additional air for the babies. I want to be able to close the window completely as the majority of our bad weather in the winter comes from the north.

From East side looking west.
1673202202747.png

The coop is located on NE part of the run with the nesting box outside. I wanted to make at least the north window open at an angle to provide additional shade in the summer and still provide some protection from the rain. This side is 8 foot tall. The Windows would be hinged at the top and open at the bottom, allowing air in and keeping the rain out.

Inside of run, looking east towards the coop.
1673202223852.png

I plan on a 6" x 7' wire mesh opening to match the one on the east side. This will stay open and since under the covered run, shouldn't get wet. Two plexiglass windows to provide fresh air and diffused sunlight inside the coop.

I didn't draw plans for the south side of the coop yet, but plan on a similar 6" x 3' permeant wire mesh opening at the top for heat and a window that closes. Since it'll be under the shade of the metal roof, will make with plexiglass to allow two sides with windows for natural light should have to close the coop.

The permanent openings at the top on three sides would be to take the heat off the metal roof and provide 8 square foot of fresh air in the coop should I have to close all the windows in bad weather yet keep the north winds away.

Of course, all the windows will have hardware cloth and potentially double layer just above the nest box, so no critters are tempted to spend a lot of time on the top of the nest box to get in. I believe the rest are high enough up to prevent opossums and such from getting to the hens.

I'm looking for honest feedback and appreciate any inputs.

Attachments

• 1673202019609.png
    1673202019609.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Welcome to BYC.

I would suggest forgetting the idea of a closed coop completely and building this as an Open Air coop -- basically, a run with a 3-sided shelter on the windward side.

Here's my article on hot climate chicken keeping, which features my own Open Air coop: Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

Also, my article on coop ventilation: Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

And some open air coops to look at (the first was the main inspiration for my coop):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/jens-hens-a-southern-texas-coop.75707/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-positive-local-action-coop.72804/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/california-living.68130/

Otherwise, it looks like a good plan if you feel you really need an enclosed coop as long as there is sufficient ventilation to the inside under the roof of the run. :)

I was thinking of open air but decided against it. Wife wants a coop due to the opossums. I've had to trap at least 5 in the last 20 years and release down the road in the fields. Plus the neighbor's cats, she loves to feed strays. So, wife wants extra protection.

I'll have to make sure it's got plenty of ventilation and shade.

For excellent ventilation in a closed coop in a hot climate, height is your best friend.

If you've got plenty of roof height you can have plenty of air moving up above the birds heads without drafts at the roost level.

I was thinking of open air but decided against it. Wife wants a coop due to the opossums.

For protection from predators, 1/2 inch Hardware Cloth is the answer.

We've had Opossums stomping around on the roof of our coops at night (they climb just fine), trying to tear open the upper vents, but the hardware cloth stops them.

We have both Open Air Coops and a Shed which is well ventilated. The Open Air design is oodles better - cooler, drier, smells better, and the birds prefer it.

Building a box does not make birds safer, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom