Review Hand Me Down Farms (grow out hatchery)

feliciadawn

Songster
Mar 31, 2020
Delaware County (near Philly), PA
Hand Me Down Farms, NM -- 0 stars -- stay away

I know, they have a terrible name. So what was I thinking purchasing young pullets from them? Well, first, I didn't realize that they were basically a (grow out) hatchery. I thought Sylvia Martin (the proprietor) was a breeder and that she bred the varieties listed on their website. I really wanted some Salmon Faverolles, and it was Fall, and no one else in the country was willing to send young faverolles during this time. I called up every local farm in the area and there were no Faverolles to be had. Even hatching eggs were virtually impossible to find, and hatching eggs through the mail often have a poor outcome.

In short, I bought 5 "still needs heat' Faverolles pullets in mid-October from this farm. For various reasons (not on my end) they were not sent out until mid-November, when, according to the seller, they were over 7 weeks old. Communication with the proprietor prior to when they were sent was sparse and confusing. Sylvia often didn't answer for a few days, and I would have no idea if the chicks were in the mail or not. At one point, on a Friday in October, she sent me an email that they were being mailed Saturday (which would have left them stranded on Sunday.) Then, it wasn't until Monday evening, after I worried all weekend, that she wrote to me one line saying that was an erroneous message. I also asked for them to be vaccinated for Mareks, since my flock was unvaccinated. She did tell me she then vaccinated them, but was sort of odd about it. She did not charge me for the extra vaccination.

The chicks were sent out in mid-Nov., the day before a Federal holiday, but they still arrived within 40 hours of being sent. They arrived in very very poor condition. The chilcks were packaged so they were basically on top of each other. They were filthy and out of food and liquid gel on arrival. They were also extremely ill, all having bloody diarrhea, all huddled and fluffed. Some had been pecked. One of the 5 died the first night. I talked to Sylvia Martin, and suggested giving them Corrid. She concurred. I did so, but they did not improve. The next day I had a fecal float test done. The chicks were still sneezing and were huddled. They were willing to eat but still had bloody poo. The vet determined they had severe coccidiosis, and probably a bacterial infection on top of that owing to the sneezing. The vet prescribed an antibiotic to be hand administered daily.

They are now on day 4 of the antibiotic. While they are perking up, one keeps sneezing is now drooling. I fear the may have a respiratory infection that would be transmittable to the rest of my flock. They are all quarantined in my basement.

Aside from illness, it should be mentioned these chicks were extremely stunted on arrival given their age. Their feathers were dull and broken. They were the size of 4 week all chicks and not the size of 7 week ones. Some of them have grown tremendously in the 5 days I have had them. I believe they were not given proper conditions or nutrition at the farm. I did write to Sylvia mentioning that there was some doubt they were even SF's. I think they were in such poor condition at first, they didn't look like proper chicks. Now, after they have perked up a bit I am pretty sure they are SFs, although with bizarre hatchery quality coloring.

Needless to say, I asked for a refund for these chicks upon seeing how sick they were. The response from Sylvia Martin was as follows:

I am willing to refund you for the bird that passed if you supply me with pics. I won’t be extorted by your threats of bad reviews. You are welcome to go the the credit card company. They will deny you because you did indeed get live birds. It does me no good to ship sick birds as we have a live arrival guarantee and I would be out for price of the birds and the shipping cost. As far as your friends saying that they aren’t Salmons goes. I can assure you that they are mistaken. If you are friends with so many breeders then why would you buy birds from someone else that you don’t know and have them shipped instead of going to your oh so knowledgeable and reliable posy? You have been high maintenance from day one. You wouldn’t have been happy if you got full grown hens for the price of chicks. Unless you are sending me proof of the dead bird don’t contact me again.

So, I sent a picture of the dead bird, and she refunded me for one of the 5 chicks, but not the shipping. However, her reaction to the other matters, including the expense of medicines and vet costs, was as follows:
The float test and antibiotics were your decision and your responsibility. We had already agreed that they had coccidiosis. I am giving you the refund as a courtesy and have no obligation to. As I said before. You can leave whatever you want in your review. I stand by every word. It’s also needs to be noted that you weren’t charged for the mareks vaccinations. My cost was $48 for the vial and shipping. There was also no mention of the extra 2 weeks of care they received for free. The weather and the election weren’t your fault but they aren’t mine either. Technically you got coop ready birds for the price of chicks. Make sure that’s in your review as well. You have been refunded for the lost bird. I recommend Texas A&M for the necropsy they are great.

Meanwhile, I have very sick birds still in my basement. They are in no way "coop ready", as (1) they are still hovering on the heat pad and don't yet have any feathers on their heads, (2) they are ill and need constant care, and (3) they are still infectous and can't be exposed to my other chickens, even in a separate coop in the same pen.

I am afraid if they have a long term respiratory infection, I may have to cull all of them. It is all very distressing.

Last edited:
If you are friends with so many breeders then why would you buy birds from someone else that you don’t know and have them shipped instead of going to your oh so knowledgeable and reliable posy? You have been high maintenance from day one.

This feels like... when you turn a guy down and he says 'well you're ugly anyway'. LMAO.

I know, they have a terrible name. So what was I thinking purchasing young pullets from them? Well, first, I didn't realize that they were basically a (grow out) hatchery. I thought Sylvia Martin (the proprietor) was a breeder and that she bred the varieties listed on their website. I really wanted some Salmon Faverolles, and it was Fall, and no one else in the country was willing to send young faverolles during this time. I called up every local farm in the area and there were no Faverolles to be had. Even hatching eggs were virtually impossible to find, and hatching eggs through the mail often have a poor outcome.

In short, I bought 5 "still needs heat' Faverolles pullets in mid-October from this farm. For various reasons (not on my end) they were not sent out until mid-November, when, according to the seller, they were over 7 weeks old. Communication with the proprietor prior to when they were sent was sparse and confusing. Sylvia often didn't answer for a few days, and I would have no idea if the chicks were in the mail or not. At one point, on a Friday in October, she sent me an email that they were being mailed Saturday (which would have left them stranded on Sunday.) Then, it wasn't until Monday evening, after I worried all weekend, that she wrote to me one line saying that was an erroneous message. I also asked for them to be vaccinated for Mareks, since my flock was unvaccinated. She did tell me she then vaccinated them, but was sort of odd about it. She did not charge me for the extra vaccination.

The chicks were sent out in mid-Nov., the day before a Federal holiday, but they still arrived within 40 hours of being sent. They arrived in very very poor condition. The chilcks were packaged so they were basically on top of each other. They were filthy and out of food and liquid gel on arrival. They were also extremely ill, all having bloody diarrhea, all huddled and fluffed. Some had been pecked. One of the 5 died the first night. I talked to Sylvia Martin, and suggested giving them Corrid. She concurred. I did so, but they did not improve. The next day I had a fecal float test done. The chicks were still sneezing and were huddled. They were willing to eat but still had bloody poo. The vet determined they had severe coccidiosis, and probably a bacterial infection on top of that owing to the sneezing. The vet prescribed an antibiotic to be hand administered daily.

They are now on day 4 of the antibiotic. While they are perking up, one keeps sneezing is now drooling. I fear the may have a respiratory infection that would be transmittable to the rest of my flock. They are all quarantined in my basement.

Aside from illness, it should be mentioned these chicks were extremely stunted on arrival given their age. Their feathers were dull and broken. They were the size of 4 week all chicks and not the size of 7 week ones. Some of them have grown tremendously in the 5 days I have had them. I believe they were not given proper conditions or nutrition at the farm. I did write to Sylvia mentioning that there was some doubt they were even SF's. I think they were in such poor condition at first, they didn't look like proper chicks. Now, after they have perked up a bit I am pretty sure they are SFs, although with bizarre hatchery quality coloring.

Needless to say, I asked for a refund for these chicks upon seeing how sick they were. The response from Sylvia Martin was as follows:

I am willing to refund you for the bird that passed if you supply me with pics. I won’t be extorted by your threats of bad reviews. You are welcome to go the the credit card company. They will deny you because you did indeed get live birds. It does me no good to ship sick birds as we have a live arrival guarantee and I would be out for price of the birds and the shipping cost. As far as your friends saying that they aren’t Salmons goes. I can assure you that they are mistaken. If you are friends with so many breeders then why would you buy birds from someone else that you don’t know and have them shipped instead of going to your oh so knowledgeable and reliable posy? You have been high maintenance from day one. You wouldn’t have been happy if you got full grown hens for the price of chicks. Unless you are sending me proof of the dead bird don’t contact me again.

So, I sent a picture of the dead bird, and she refunded me for one of the 4 chicks, but not the shipping. However, her reaction to the other matters, including the expense of medicines and vet costs, was as follows:
The float test and antibiotics were your decision and your responsibility. We had already agreed that they had coccidiosis. I am giving you the refund as a courtesy and have no obligation to. As I said before. You can leave whatever you want in your review. I stand by every word. It’s also needs to be noted that you weren’t charged for the mareks vaccinations. My cost was $48 for the vial and shipping. There was also no mention of the extra 2 weeks of care they received for free. The weather and the election weren’t your fault but they aren’t mine either. Technically you got coop ready birds for the price of chicks. Make sure that’s in your review as well. You have been refunded for the lost bird. I recommend Texas A&M for the necropsy they are great.

Meanwhile, I have very sick birds still in my basement. They are in no way "coop ready", as (1) they are still hovering on the heat pad and don't yet have any feathers on their heads, (2) they are ill and need constant care, and (3) they are still infectous and can't be exposed to my other chickens, even in a separate coop in the same pen.

I am afraid if they have a long term respiratory infection, I may have to cull all of them. It is all very distressing.
I am so sorry you had this horrible experience. I hope the birds you have left survive and thrive in your good care!🥰

I looked up grow out and, if I'm not mistaken, it means they're being raised for meat? Shouldnt the birds be ridiculously oversized for their age then? Or does that not start until later? :hmm

So, I sent a picture of the dead bird, and she refunded me for one of the 4 chicks, but not the shipping. However, her reaction to the other matters, including the expense of medicines and vet costs, was as follows:

Jeeze. Sorry about that painful experience. At least the chicks are in good hands.

I looked up grow out and, if I'm not mistaken, it means they're being raised for meat? Shouldnt the birds be ridiculously oversized for their age then? Or does that not start until later?
I might have used the wrong term. She buys them as day-old sexed chicks, grows them for a few weeks, and then sells them to the public. Faverolles are quite rare, known as sweet friendly fluffballs, and would not be used as meat birds (I don't think!) Anyway I had no idea of this and thought she bred them at the point of purchase.

I might have used the wrong term. She buys them as day-old sexed chicks, grows them for a few weeks, and then sells them to the public. Faverolles are quite rare, known as sweet friendly fluffballs, and would not be used as meat birds (I don't think!) Anyway I had no idea of this and thought she bred them at the point of purchase.
Ah okay, so shes the middle man. I think thats actually way less cost effective than selling eggs your birds lay and you hatch yourself haha. Day old sexed chicks are expensive.

Ah okay, so shes the middle man. I think thats actually way less cost effective than selling eggs your birds lay and you hatch yourself haha. Day old sexed chicks are expensive.

It is really one of the worst business models i have ever heard of. The margins are tiny and the risk is great. Sylvia -- if you read this -- I know you hate me but really you need another approach to farming. Perhaps raise alpacas? Alpaca hair is in demand and they are cute fuzzy animals.

I looked up grow out and, if I'm not mistaken, it means they're being raised for meat?
You are mistaken.. grow out means something that isn't ready to be culled yet. All my pullets and cockerels are grow out until I decide who stays and who goes.

Very sorry for your experience, especially the loss and ongoing concern! :hugs

If you still have the body (or anymore fail or you cull) PLEASE send it in for necropsy and alleviate your fear by getting some answers! The farm you are upset with is NPIP certified.. and anything respiratory MIGHT be report able by law. Links to help with necropsy..
State poultry labs

How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

Honestly.. as much as I feel your pain and would likely be just as frustrated as you are.. maybe even not care for some of her childish response.. I'm here to support YOU so please don't take my response as a personal attack.

There are a lot of "drop ship" and "grow out" type hatcheries with folks piggy backing off of someone else's egg production from contract farmers. I also think she very well needed to defend herself.. I didn't see anyone tell you they didn't look like SF on your original thread posted concerning their shipping timing. It's not a fantastic business model.. but raising alpacas woulds be a purely stupid choice for someone like myself who can support chickens on my land but not large animals.. Hopefully she will have learned SOMETHING from this experience that will benefit others who don't see this thread or choose to order anyways..

You shop around, you choose your price.. Salmon Faverolles are NOT a rare breed and are readily available at many well known hatcheries.. when one plans ahead instead of deciding they want something at the end of the hatching season in the middle of a pandemic.. and gotta have it now.. that's when just about anything could be considered rare.

Actually available right now..
https://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=SFAS

Call for availability..
https://www.strombergschickens.com/product/salmon-faverolles-chicks

Next spring..
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/salmon-faverolle/

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/salmon_faverolles.html

https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Baby-Chicks/Salmon-Faverolles-p241.aspx

https://hoovershatchery.com/SalmonFaverolles.html

https://www.purelypoultry.com/salmon-faverolles-chickens-p-353.html

Hope others thrive! :fl

ETA: Faverolles are indeed meat birds.. they grew too slow and consumed too much feed compared to other breeds is why we ended up not breeding them for our table and eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom