Rhut Roh, Chicken Math!!

EggSighted4Life

Crossing the Road
8 Years
Apr 9, 2016
California's Redwood Coast
Hello to all my soon to be BYC friends! It took a long time for me to decide to become a member cuz I'm not super social. But I have seen so much good advice and soooo many awesome, moral people. I could not resist any longer!

I am a stay at home wife/mom. I have an adult son (not at home). Also a teen daughter. I love my animals. Right now, just dogs and chickens. I have had fish, hamsters, and a cat in the past. This is my second chicken adventure. The first was hatchery stock Plymouth Barred Rock, "Rhode Island Red" (production), and "Americana" (misleading spelling for Easter Egger). Of those three (they were all good) we decided this time around to go with BR since we liked the temperament. They never tell a lie!

I proceeded to the feed store and got 3 barred rocks as egg laying pets 7 weeks ago, now 8 weeks old. That was SUPPOSED to be it! After much reading and my despise of the chicken industry as a whole, I have decided to raise a dual purpose flock (not knowing if I can "do the deed"). Possibly doing some eventual breeding, I realized there was NO way I could get good genetics from the hatchery. When 1 hatchery I was looking at offered debeaking, I started looking into other breeds from breeders (which for dogs, I adopt. Don't shop, & always spay and neuter). So far we are looking at some serious addition and I'm a little nervous. I found a family breeder online with some of the breeds I was interested in black copper marans, lavender orpingtons, blue ameraucana... So I placed my order with a 15 chick minimum for 16 chicks. Do to arrive in August since they have a waiting list. Then... I found a family breeder 40 miles from me. And I HAD to go see what they were offering! Besides it's a beautiful drive up the California/Oregon coast ;-D I went yesterday and came home with 3 day old babies (not like the ones the sell as "day old" at the feed store after they spent days in transport). They are supposed to be 1 black Jersey Giant and 2 Swedish Flower. I have my doubts as their flock seemed fairly integrated. When we got home they were all lively and acting like chickens. I hope they make it. We are planning to eat roos, but as excited as I was to bring them home?!.... We will see what happens. That being said, addition is always the simplest math to start with and it gets more difficult from there. What was my hubby thing when I told him "God must have been smiling on you when I didn't get more chicks today". He said "you should have." Whoa, I just got permission!! I've gotta keep it simple though, this is just for fun. Who would have ever imagined cleaning that much poo by choice?

Thanks for letting me introduce myself. Sorry for rambling, I always try to be thoughtful of what I say. I say what I mean and mean what I say. Though it doesn't always come out the right way. So before I start again, let me say.... Nice to meet you, hope you have a great day!

Welcome! I too am a stay at home mom. My children are little yet (we started late) but as I am unlikely to go back to work (very little opportunity here) I got into chickens to feed my family and give me something to do. I personally find it easier to "do the deed" as they get older. When you first get they they are so helpless and cute you cannot imagine harming them. As they grow they become more independent and less snuggly so easier to part with, especially as I know they had a good life. Do not name them until you know they are a permanent fixture in your yard.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Hi and welcome to BYC - glad that you have joined us.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - just type the name of your state in the search box.

All the best
CT

LOL - The poor man - you'd be better served being extremely vague or affect selective amnesia (thats what i do) to preserve his health.

CT

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Wow you got permission to get more.
ya.gif
I can assure you that does not happen often. Go with it.....
wee.gif

Ha ha, funny about the hubby fainting.

Thanks for advice to check out my state thread. I will definitely check it out.

Permission, it's great! Like he had a choice. At least he feels good 'cuz he thinks he did.
wink.png
Besides most men truly want their wives to be happy, and what comes around goes around. I'm sure I will have to support some of his adventurous hobbies in the future. But hey, joy is contagious!

Watching the animals doing what animals do is very peaceful. It also gives me insight to human behavior, like when the hormones hit and teens become unruly. Or sibling rivalry. It helps me to be a little more understanding of the human condition.

rottlady- Wish I could get my hands on some of those crested cream legbars! And Delaware's don't seem to be easy to find either.

organicfarmwife- thanks, sounds like you might have a little experience. The time WILL come since I am getting straight run.

Everyone- Thanks for your warm welcome, I love the emoticons!

Back
Top Bottom