Ribh's D'Coopage

We've had several days of steady rain. Very welcome & much needed but it has put a halt to the outside work. This morning the man took me outside to show me [because I'm a very visual learner] the dimensions of the new pen. I will have 80 square feet for 12 chooks ~ which should be ample?

It will run along our northern boundary from one of the small mangoes in front of the lotus pond, to just before the drop off on the edge of our hill. The man got very excited when I started talking gardens [important as he's the one with the muscle power :) ] & is prepared to expand the eastern ones. The ones around the coop need to be narrow as we have a fire pit on the other side but I want them as that is where all my mozzie deterring herbs will go. It should be visually attractive as well as practical. :fl

Am hoping to save our little coop as an isolation pen @ the other side of the house. Up near the pond I have earmarked for a bee hive... one with a tap. The man is keen to do native bees but one thing @ a time.

MEMO0002 (2).JPG

Hopefully your rain delay ends soon and you can get to putting things together! Looking forward to seeing the results
Yes, me too. :) I'm having trouble visualising the end result but my man assures me it is being built in such a way it can be modified if necessary.

I was thinking of going with a top bar hive, myself. I used to make candles, so the extra wax from the crush and strain harvesting would be used for that. I did a few native (North American) bee hotels in my yard in the city, good for pollination but no honey... two of the farm owners are allergic (and one is terrified) to bees here though, so that will be a “later” discussion.

I was thinking of going with a top bar hive, myself. I used to make candles, so the extra wax from the crush and strain harvesting would be used for that. I did a few native (North American) bee hotels in my yard in the city, good for pollination but no honey... two of the farm owners are allergic (and one is terrified) to bees here though, so that will be a “later” discussion.
Why am I not surprised? :) I don't want to have to store a heap of gear, though our native bees are stingless & nesting in our wall crevices.

Back
Top Bottom