Ribh's D'Coopage

I dare say some people will howl in protest at this, but you shouldn't handle young chicks. You can let them walk onto an outstreched palm if they wil, but that's about it. I don't handle the chicks here unless it's absolutley necessary.
There are a few reasons why it isn't a good idea to handle young chicks.
It is incredibly easy to dislocate a leg. You wont even know you've done it in many cases. How this usually happens is someone picks up a chick, holds it their hand a yard off the floor and the chick suddenly panics and either falls off the hand, or the person grabs the chick to prevent the fall and sqeezes.:(
Keep your hand on the floor and if the chick panics then let it go.
Chicks at a few days old are susceptible to lots of bacteria. It takes a few days out with mum for them to start to build up a tolerance to the bacteria and pathogens around them. Hands are often a bacterial breeding ground.
You aint mum and mums make sure that in the early days, only mum tells them what to do and only mum touches them.
If you want chickens that are going to survive then you want chicks that run from anything strange. You might think you're lovely but you are actually their worst predator.
For me, here in my keeping circumstances I want the chicks to just trust their mum and not leave mums side no matter what treats they may think I have. If I appraoch them, I want them to run to mum or hide while they are that young. It helps to keep them alive later. They can be my friend when they are old enough to know what I am; not before.
At the age Ribh's pullets are I will touch their beaks but not pick them up unless it's necessary. This is partly out of respect for what they are. Chickens have not evolved to be my pets. If a chicken decides I'm okay that's different. This helps to make me okay and midful that a chicken is not a toy for me to play with.

I'll just press the like button for a bit I think.:oops:

I thought I would post this link. I think there is a possibility that some who read the posts above may think Shad has just gone into one and while his view may be relevant to free range chicks, it doesn't apply to me.
Dont handle the chicks is rule 1 here with breeders. It's not going to be a popular view. Just reading the hatching posts and the 'I've just got new chicks' posts will show this.
Read the link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chick-instructions-on-one-page.71977/

I thought I would post this link. I think there is a possibility that some who read the posts above may think Shad has just gone into one and while his view may be relevant to free range chicks, it doesn't apply to me.
Dont handle the chicks is rule 1 here with breeders. It's not going to be a popular view. Just reading the hatching posts and the 'I've just got new chicks' posts will show this.
Read the link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/chick-instructions-on-one-page.71977/
This was really great Shad. Thanks for sharing. Now I understand i will change my behaviour. I have never handled them much in the first 2 weeks but i was led to believe daily contact was important. I will now let them just approach my hand and look forward to interacting with them more as they get older. I am learning so much this year. I love it.

What about crushing up egg shells finely. That can be used as grit too can't it? Or is it too high in calcium for babies?
No, no! My understanding is that would be a bad idea. Egg shells dissolve so the don’t act like grit to grind up the food and they provide too much calcium.

So lovely!
What temperature is it with you now? It looks a bit windy and I am wondering if frizzle feathers provide as much protection. The two little frizzles - Titania and Olivia (did I get that right?) look like they are feeling a little chilly.

:thumbsup

Frizzles don't regulate their body temp as well as other chickens. The video was taken just before roosting so the sun was gone. The wind is gusting 20~30ks, so yes it was blustery. I thought they were feeling the cold too. It's the 1st time Titania didn't attempt to come back out of the coop once in.

Good evening folks :frow

What about crushing up egg shells finely. That can be used as grit too can't it? Or is it too high in calcium for babies?
This is one of those areas where the same word has different meanings. I memory serves, in AUS the word grit refers to calcium (aka oyster shell) which is provided to layers to strengthen their egg shells. In the US when we refer to grit, we're talking about granite or quarts. hard bits of rock that line the gizzard.
My hairdresser said that she raised chicks once and carried them around in her bra! I don't think she meant actually stuffed in her bra, just sort of between her boobs and her shirt.

Well, you get the picture... 😶
I've had friends here on BYC do that when the power goes out. It works :gigThen there's the whole cleaning up the poop thing that comes later. :gig

Back
Top Bottom