Ribh's D'Coopage

Thanks for that Ribh. I’ve been otherwise occupied for the last few days. I will do a before and after comparison once the doors and shelves are up. My builder is MIA at the moment ☹️
Sorry about the builder ~ but given your lockdown perhaps not surprising. Looking forward to the compare & contrast.

I created havoc @ roosting.
I wanted to move Ceres but I didn't want her in the little coop on her own. Ideally I would have moved everyone after dark but my set up isn't ideal for night manouvres so I did the next best thing; I moved those I wanted to move right on roosting when I still had enough light to see & they didn't have time to go completely tropo. Just the same you'd have thought I'd asked them to strip naked & dance on the bar top! 🙄

I moved my Wyandotte bantams 1st, fairly sure they'd go ballistic. And they did. You'd think they were being murdered. I'd moved the spare eggs & made sure the bedding was really deep then I grabbed Ceres & her eggs & moved her holusbolus onto her new nest. While I was checking those left behind the shrieking from the little coop reached a thunderous cresendo. All 3 chickens were running round the little coop screaming like banshees & cursing me to Annwn & back. I sighed hoping I hadn't inadvertently broken Ceres. My timing was pretty good because all 3 girls realised they were about to lose the light & headed reluctantly into the coop. Alpia didn't want to go & hopped onto the roost to sulk when I dropped the pop door. Wrold, as I had hoped, spotted the 2 spare eggs & happily settled over them & after some fussing Ceres got back on hers.

I'm sure this isn't optimum but having thought carefully about it I decided the big coop wasn't somewhere I wanted chicks. It's just not safe enough, waay too open & quite difficult to acces so hard for a new mum to shepherd chicks out & about. Much easier to do it all from the small coop. This meant I had to choose when to move Ceres @ least. I decided sooner rather than later. If she broke then I'd know in time to pull out of eggs. However chickens being social beings I knew Ceres would be happier if others were in the small coop with her. I chose Wrold & Alpia in the hopes 1 @ least would go broody with her & be sitting for @ least a week before the eggs arrived. As hoped Wrold chose the spare eggs over the roost. Ceres, as the junior hen, took the rejected eggs.

I will know how we're going in the morning but then we will have the rest of the flock squwarking because they can't get into the little coop to lay. :he It could all be so simple if the silly girls would just do what I wanted. 🤣
Anyway, here's a roosting of frizzles. Everyone loves to cuddle a frizzle when they're going to sleep.
20210817_173028.jpg

I’ve got pictures of our cats on leads. I’ll see if I can find them.
That reminds me of a few years ago when I thought one of my cats seemed like he would love to go out for walks with me. I got a nice cat-sized harness - no pressure on his neck, harness around chest, front legs and mid section. Very controlled and safe. I followed the directions of getting him used to it slowly.
It all went well until the final stage of actually putting him in it fully which I managed with no fuss and lots of purring. I reached over to grab the lead to attach to the harness so we could go for our walk.
I turned back and there he was sitting happily next to the harness looking up at me.
I have no idea how he managed to get out of it, and he wasn't scared because he just sat there (laughing maybe?).
But he made it clear he was not planning on actually wearing any silly harness.
Sigh. Cats!

I created havoc @ roosting.
I wanted to move Ceres but I didn't want her in the little coop on her own. Ideally I would have moved everyone after dark but my set up isn't ideal for night manouvres so I did the next best thing; I moved those I wanted to move right on roosting when I still had enough light to see & they didn't have time to go completely tropo. Just the same you'd have thought I'd asked them to strip naked & dance on the bar top! 🙄

I moved my Wyandotte bantams 1st, fairly sure they'd go ballistic. And they did. You'd think they were being murdered. I'd moved the spare eggs & made sure the bedding was really deep then I grabbed Ceres & her eggs & moved her holusbolus onto her new nest. While I was checking those left behind the shrieking from the little coop reached a thunderous cresendo. All 3 chickens were running round the little coop screaming like banshees & cursing me to Annwn & back. I sighed hoping I hadn't inadvertently broken Ceres. My timing was pretty good because all 3 girls realised they were about to lose the light & headed reluctantly into the coop. Alpia didn't want to go & hopped onto the roost to sulk when I dropped the pop door. Wrold, as I had hoped, spotted the 2 spare eggs & happily settled over them & after some fussing Ceres got back on hers.

I'm sure this isn't optimum but having thought carefully about it I decided the big coop wasn't somewhere I wanted chicks. It's just not safe enough, waay too open & quite difficult to acces so hard for a new mum to shepherd chicks out & about. Much easier to do it all from the small coop. This meant I had to choose when to move Ceres @ least. I decided sooner rather than later. If she broke then I'd know in time to pull out of eggs. However chickens being social beings I knew Ceres would be happier if others were in the small coop with her. I chose Wrold & Alpia in the hopes 1 @ least would go broody with her & be sitting for @ least a week before the eggs arrived. As hoped Wrold chose the spare eggs over the roost. Ceres, as the junior hen, took the rejected eggs.

I will know how we're going in the morning but then we will have the rest of the flock squwarking because they can't get into the little coop to lay. :he It could all be so simple if the silly girls would just do what I wanted. 🤣
Anyway, here's a roosting of frizzles. Everyone loves to cuddle a frizzle when they're going to sleep.
View attachment 2802471
Let us know how it goes. Hopefully it works.

Back
Top Bottom