Ribh's D'Coopage

My brain went to fermented honey drink for mead (I've heard that's where honeymoon comes from: a moon (month) of mead drinking), and candles for wick, and drongo.
On mead I was thrown by 'a mead' (is that an indefinite article?) and on wick I kicked myself after opening the spoiler because of course lots of English place names have 'wick' or the I presume related 'wich' in them so I feel like I should have been able to guess.
I hope @Ribh has many more of these - we can learn alongside her!

On mead I was thrown by 'a mead' (is that an indefinite article?) and on wick I kicked myself after opening the spoiler because of course lots of English place names have 'wick' or the I presume related 'wich' in them so I feel like I should have been able to guess.
Hey, yeh! X-wich would be from wick. Dulwich, Greenwich etc. Good thinking RC. But maybe not X-wark as in Southwark because maybe it comes from bulwark?

Me too RC. Mead is one thing but that snarky little indefinite article definitely threw me for a loop~ though linguistically, when you think about it, meadow starts with mead. :confused: And like you I knew lots of English place names have Wick or which in them. I had just never bothered to make the connection though anything with *dun* I immediately know was a fortress @ one time. My knowledge is extremely lopsided I'm afraid.

Hey, yeh! X-wich would be from wick. Dulwich, Greenwich etc. Good thinking RC. But maybe not X-wark as in Southwark because maybe it comes from bulwark?

Thank you, MJ! :hugs So did I! :lau
I knew I would be hopeless and just got right to the spoiler!
We do have lots of place names with "wick" at the end...
I googled "wark" and found this, do you think it's right? Then the bulwark idea would be right:
Warkworth: Wark comes from 'weorc' – an earthwork or castle and 'worth' means an enclosed settlement. The villages of Wark on Tyne and Wark on Tweed were both sites for castles built on earthworks.Jan 3, 2019
https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/201...s from 'weorc,for castles built on earthworks.

Origins of North East place-names

I knew I would be hopeless and just got right to the spoiler!
We do have lots of place names with "wick" at the end...
I googled "wark" and found this, do you think it's right? Then the bulwark idea would be right:
Warkworth: Wark comes from 'weorc' – an earthwork or castle and 'worth' means an enclosed settlement. The villages of Wark on Tyne and Wark on Tweed were both sites for castles built on earthworks.Jan 3, 2019
https://englandsnortheast.co.uk/2019/01/03/north-east-place-names/#:~:text=Warkworth: Wark comes from 'weorc,for castles built on earthworks.

Origins of North East place-names

Thanks for that CB! My knowledge of toponymy tends to be limited to those areas inhabited by the peoples known collectively as the Celts.

Back
Top Bottom