Ribh's D'Coopage

Gate Leg & Drop leaf are, technically, different styles so I will be interested to see which one you have. I like both ~ especially for small spaces! 😍 Here they are often expensive as they are usually antiques. I don't think I've ever seen a modern one.
I thought gate leg was a subset of drop leaf. The gate leg is what holds up the drop leaf (vs other ways of holding up the drop leaves).
My father's uncle had an oak gate leg table (very basic - no barley twist). It was unusual in that when closed up it was only about a foot wide, but each leaf was almost to the floor so it created a 6' long table when fully open.
As a kid it was very intriguing because I could fit underneath it and be invisible - hidden by the dropped leaves. I wonder what ever happened to that table.
🤔

There is a kitchen appliance (?) that has for years left me in tears of frustration at the inability of designers to make this item fit for purpose. The item I'm going on about is the humble kitchen drainer; or dishrack if yer oldschool.
I've struggled with this item while it threw pots at me, let the cutlery slide back into the sink, grip a couple of desgner plates so hard they broke when I tried wrestling the plate from the rack. I mean why do the dish rack part for regular plates take up so much room on these things. I can't be the only person in the world that wants to stack a few cooking pots on the rack to dry.
Needless to say, I've been banging on about my complete dissatisfaction with the kitchen ware designers to the daughters, at length.
A few weeks ago I got asked the youngest what I wanted for my birthday. I told her to save her money, but make sure I got to see her on my birthday, or very close to it.
We had a bit of a birthday party family style so just a few of us. The youngest gave me this as a present.

https://www.towerhousewares.co.uk/t847009gry-parent-scandi-dish-rack-with-wooden-handles-grey.html

It may seem an odd thing to rave about but this here dishracky thing was designed with me in mind I think. I don't use the water catcher and have the rack draining into the sink from the draining board.
Unlike most of the plastic or wooden drainers I've come accross, this has depth. It's like a shallow box in effect apart from the box is plastic coated metal. This means you can put things like pots and odd shaped items in it, rather than try to balance things on it.
Anyway, I just thought I would mention it. I'm very pleased with it and the crows can roost in the tree outside my kitchen window in the morning and not have their ears assauted by my bad language while I try to rearrange the pile made the night before into a position where the rest of it will dry.
That’s the perfect present! :love

I thought gate leg was a subset of drop leaf. The gate leg is what holds up the drop leaf (vs other ways of holding up the drop leaves).
My father's uncle had an oak gate leg table (very basic - no barley twist). It was unusual in that when closed up it was only about a foot wide, but each leaf was almost to the floor so it created a 6' long table when fully open.
As a kid it was very intriguing because I could fit underneath it and be invisible - hidden by the dropped leaves. I wonder what ever happened to that table.
🤔
You are probably right ~ or there may be a difference in how different countries categorise these things.

🤔
It’s probably hidden away with my GI Joe collection of toys! :old:idunno

My beautiful Ha'penny.
20220321_162705.jpg

Back
Top Bottom