Ringneck dove question

rittert3

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Ks (Manhattan area)
can you keep multiple pairs in the same pen? I read that males are agressive and it's not a good idea to house them together, I only want about 3 pairs and want them outside but I don't want to build a bunch of differnt pens that will only house a pair. Also do the pairs "bond" or will they switch mated or try to take on multiple hens? I was always told pigeons would bond and mate for life but I found this wasn't even close to true when I was keeping them. I had to figure out who was what and pen a pair seperate, or my cocks would go after whoever and fight with other cocks and then mate "their" hen. I kept a mixed bunch of auction mutts but I figured a pigeons a pigeon when it comes to breeding behavior.

Yes if theirs enouugh room. The that I have had bonded and if they chose another mate they were locked up in their seperate breading compartments it kind of depends on the cock.

I believe the recommended space requirements for group pens is 10 sq. ft. per bird of floor space. So yours would be just about right for 3 pair. But remember, 3 pair will quickly turn into a whole bunch, so build accordingly
wink.png

Ringneck doves will fight over territory just like most other animals. Make sure you have plenty of room for them and they should be fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom