Roman Tufted gosling Limp.

Charlie Stuart

Chirping
Mar 14, 2023
I have a Roman tufted 8 week or so old gosling today I noticed he was limping on his right foot and putting more pressure on the left foot he has also been lying on the ground a lot more hen usual. One of my chickens might have bumble foot (I will make a separate post about that) but I don't see anything on his feet that resemble a bubble foot. What could it be?

Here are his feet:
Left Foot (Bad foot)
1716073269240.jpeg

r
1716073234755.jpeg

Right Foot (Good foot)
1716073350501.jpeg

1716073371485.jpeg

The main cause of limping is nutritional deficiencies usually due to an improper diet that doesn’t have enough niacin and other B vitamins. Often it’s because waterfowl are being fed a feed oriented towards chickens and not an all flock, multiflock, or waterfowl diet.
I don’t know what you’re feeding them but if it’s a chick start or grower you need to switch to a flock raiser, waterfowl start or duck start and get the gosling a liquid multivitamin or liquid B complex to give him a boost of what he’s lacking.

If you already have him on that check the tag on the feed, feed older than 4 months loses its potency and won’t be as nutritious.

I don’t see bumblefoot on those feet but some of those dark spots resemble a sort of dermatitis caused by bacteria from walking on damp bedding or mud for too long, often a weak immune system is also to blame. I had a very wet, warm winter this year and one of my ganders who has repeat bouts of intestinal infections got it this winter. The scales will feel rougher or raised and the skin will become somewhat swollen as it progresses. If the dark spots wash off with water, then this probably isn’t the case.

What you do for that is that you fill up a bin with warm water and epson salt and you make him stand in it for 5 to 10 minutes once or twice a day, then apply neosporin to the affected areas after the soak. Repeat until the condition goes away. It’s preferable to bandage the feet or keep them in some sort of booties between soakings to keep the feet as dry as possible.

The main cause of limping is nutritional deficiencies usually due to an improper diet that doesn’t have enough niacin and other B vitamins. Often it’s because waterfowl are being fed a feed oriented towards chickens and not an all flock, multiflock, or waterfowl diet.
I don’t know what you’re feeding them but if it’s a chick start or grower you need to switch to a flock raiser, waterfowl start or duck start and get the gosling a liquid multivitamin or liquid B complex to give him a boost of what he’s lacking.

If you already have him on that check the tag on the feed, feed older than 4 months loses its potency and won’t be as nutritious.

I don’t see bumblefoot on those feet but some of those dark spots resemble a sort of dermatitis caused by bacteria from walking on damp bedding or mud for too long, often a weak immune system is also to blame. I had a very wet, warm winter this year and one of my ganders who has repeat bouts of intestinal infections got it this winter. The scales will feel rougher or raised and the skin will become somewhat swollen as it progresses. If the dark spots wash off with water, then this probably isn’t the case.

What you do for that is that you fill up a bin with warm water and epson salt and you make him stand in it for 5 to 10 minutes once or twice a day, then apply neosporin to the affected areas after the soak. Repeat until the condition goes away. It’s preferable to bandage the feet or keep them in some sort of booties between soakings to keep the feet as dry as possible.
Thank you for the help I currently have him on flock raiser and I do have vitamin B complex that I can give him. I will look to see whether his foot was as you describe and infection to be. I will also keep you updated Thank you for the help.

I can't really tell by your photo that anything is going on with their feet, my birds are wandering all over the place stepping into mud and dirt all the time so I can't really make a good comparison without some sort of clear swelling. If you're uncertain an Epsom salt bath for the feet shouldn't hurt.

I use this which has their Niacin requirements: https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/products/duck-goose/ since I can't get big bags I will mix this in with an all flock type feed.

I can't really tell by your photo that anything is going on with their feet, my birds are wandering all over the place stepping into mud and dirt all the time so I can't really make a good comparison without some sort of clear swelling. If you're uncertain an Epsom salt bath for the feet shouldn't hurt.

I use this which has their Niacin requirements: https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/products/duck-goose/ since I can't get big bags I will mix this in with an all flock type feed.
Thank you I will give the gosling Epson salt foot baths.

ok so the gosling has stopped limping, but he has been sitting on the ground a lot not foraging with the other goose and not staying as close to her either. mostly what he does its sit down and turning his head 180 degrees and kinda putting his head under neath his wing. He did get into a little fight with one of my chickens and lost some of his cheek feathers. I am now keeping him away from the chickens, but I don't think this would make him have the behavior he is having.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom