Roo Leg Problem - Please Help!!!

Airilith

Songster
10 Years
Sep 28, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
Ok a couple of weeks ago I posted about Elmo's spur. He managed to rip it 3/4 of the way off his foot. Long story short, I decided to just remove it completely. It was wrapped for over a week before I let him go unwrapped. I had put neosporin (without pain meds) on it, and a bit of cornstarch to aid in clotting. Well last weekend I had to go away, and left DBF to keep an eye on the flock.

I got back yesterday and his foot is red around where his spur was. He also has a bit of red going up his leg, but he has a similar streak on the other leg. So I'm assuming that's just a sign of his good hormones. I will post a picture later this afternoon. But my question is, could it just be bruising from him continuing to tussle with the ladies and the other roos? Or should I be concerned that it's something more serious?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The general info about Elmo:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
RIR rooster, exactly 37 weeks today, and he's a healthy sized roo (haven't weighed him)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Red around the sight of removed spur, not swelling, and the removed spur has scabbed nicely. There is no limp

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I noticed it when I got home yesterday. His leg was fine on Thursday.

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma?
There is no bleeding or broken bones. I do wonder if the redness could be bruising.

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation?
Elmo managed to get his spur caught on something and ripped it 3/4 of the way off. I removed it the rest of the way, as there was no hope of it healing back in place.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all?
I've seen him eating both Flock Raiser and the tomato treats I gave out this morning. I also caught him drinking.

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I can't say I singled out his poo. If I managed to catch him in the act this afternoon, I'll report back on this one.

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Following the removal of the spur the sight was smeared with neosporin (no pain meds) and wrapped with gauze and tape. He also was powdered with cornstarch to aid in blood clotting.

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
We do not have a chicken vet in the area. So I treat myself. I do have Tylan 50 on hand if that's suggested.

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
I will take one this afternoon, and post it asap.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Elmo is staying in a coop with 13 other birds (2 other roos, the rest hens). I use pine shavings for bedding. Also the coop is 8x12 if that helps.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Ok pictures as promised!

These first ones are the redness around his former spur:

100_4892.jpg

100_4908.jpg

100_4909.jpg

100_4914.jpg

This one shows the 'streaking' that's on both sides. I'm fairly sure it's the typical roo hormone redness:

100_4910.jpg

And just for the heck of it, does he look like he's got those scaly leg mite things?
fl.gif
I sure hope not!

100_4913.jpg

Thanks everyone for all your help!!!!

Redness looks normal to mebut would continue to use neosporin til scab gone. Would also treat for mites just to be safe. Have u been giving any vitamins ie Poly vi sol? hope this helps.
fl.gif

Thanks guys I really appreciate it!!

BW, I haven't been giving him vitamins but that's not a bad idea. I have the polyvisol (w/o iron). It's just one drop straight in the mouth correct?

Zaz, I know they're supposed to be red, but around the spur hadn't been red. I was just worried that something was wrong, and showing itself through the redness in that area.

Back
Top Bottom