Roo to hen ratio questions

hiddenacres

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
New Milford, Pa
Hey everybody I'm having problems with rooster to hen ratio. If I have 22 hens and 3 roosters do you think they will have problems one rooster is a bantam cochin one is a bantam modern game and one is an americauna do you think they will have problems.
If it helps then the hens are 2 bantam cochins, 2 bantam modern game, 8 red sex links, 3 amber rocks, 2 silkies, and 5 americaunas. Thanks for the help
Aaron

In my research I have read/heard 1 rooster for every 8-10 hens is a good ratio to ensure that eggs are all fertile. Some roosters can handle more hens, others can't. I don't know for sure, because this is the first year I have kept a rooster. I have 2 mature roosters for 17 hens right now, and I haven't had any feather loss issues.

8-10 is an average amount per rooster, but I had a roo that had 12 hens to himself and all but 1 had feather loss. Every time I saw him he was mounting a hen. We named him Casanova. He is in the freezer now because he was too much for the hens and became aggressive to people.

There are no definitive answers. Every flock has different dynamics, and the chickens all have their own different personalities. I would say a flock of 22 hens with 3 roosters that is primarily free ranged over plenty of ground it could work. Could. Not that it will without a doubt. I think if this same flock were to be kept in a run and coop most of the time, the chances are not so likely. The only way you're going to know is to give it a try, and keep an eye on your birds. If the roosters seem to be fighting excessively (there will be some squabbles to establish dominance), or your hens are constantly being chased or overbred, you need to have a plan on how you are going to get rid of the extra rooster.

There are no definitive answers. Every flock has different dynamics, and the chickens all have their own different personalities. I would say a flock of 22 hens with 3 roosters that is primarily free ranged over plenty of ground it could work. Could. Not that it will without a doubt. I think if this same flock were to be kept in a run and coop most of the time, the chances are not so likely. The only way you're going to know is to give it a try, and keep an eye on your birds. If the roosters seem to be fighting excessively (there will be some squabbles to establish dominance), or your hens are constantly being chased or overbred, you need to have a plan on how you are going to get rid of the extra rooster.
Exactly what I was going to say....now I just don't have to type it all out!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom