roof material/ too much light?

Actonthegoat

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015
Hi, i'm planning to build a coop in the spring once the snow melts. I was thinking of using clear corrugated panels for the roof to allow for light but save on windows (there will be plenty of ventilation). But I'm wondering if it might be too much light/ not enough shade? It will be a 5x7 coop, the slant roof will face east. Would chickens feel sufficiently protected from predators above if they can see through the roof?
Thanks!

I used white SunTuf panels. They let in tons of light but you can't see through them. I like them for that reason but they do tend to heat up the coop like a greenhouse when the sun shines. It is shaded in the afternoon so it's not too bad. I would think clear panels would be even worse in this respect. I would not use translucent panels if the coop is in sunlight past noon.
I don't know about line-of-sight security concerns. I doubt it's an issue. Large windows, or entirely open sides, are often used on coops without this concern.
One thing about my Suntuf roof that does concern me is that is clearly the weakest material on my coop. I'm pretty sure a determined raccoon could rip/chew/bite/maul his way through. As far as I can tell, none have yet tried.

I personally would go with a solid (wood) roof for the coop. In a pinch I'd use smoke polycarb but if the chooks don't feel secure in their coop that pretty much pulls the rug out of everything else you hope to accomplish with your flock. Additionally, there is the oven-effect with the clear polycarb. I know the smoke polycarb I use as a roof on my run blocks 99% of UV but I'd still be concerned with cooking the birds in the coop on hot summer days where a solid roof would insulate them from the sun.

I'm sure folks have done it...and certainly there have been folks that have put skylights in but a fully transparent roof on a coop seems to me to be a less than stellar idea. Just my humble opinion and as with all things chicken, YMMV.

People using a translucent roof, including myself, tend to really enjoy the interior light that it allows. Makes sense. But there is definitely a greenhouse effect to deal with if your coop sits out in the sun in the afternoon. Mine gets sun until about 2:00PM so I avoid the hot afternoon. Adequate ventilation is key.

People using a translucent roof, including myself, tend to really enjoy the interior light that it allows. Makes sense. But there is definitely a greenhouse effect to deal with if your coop sits out in the sun in the afternoon. Mine gets sun until about 2:00PM so I avoid the hot afternoon. Adequate ventilation is key.

If this helps...we've used clear panels on all our coop roofs with no issues of chickens not feeling safe nor the problem of the coops getting too warm (chickens are out in the runs during the day anyway).

Gail

That is AWESOME! I never would have guessed the chooks would feel so safe/comfortable with a clear-ish roof on the coop. Oh the times I wish I had an abundance of natural light in my coop.......
he.gif

Those clear panels will heat up.My Dh put a metal roof on our coop.You could stand inside the coop and could feel the heat on a hot summer day.We ended up insulating the inside and the ceiling of their coop.we cut out windpws on three sides of the coop.and covered them with heavy gauge hard wire cloth.and we also did the same with the door.it lets in lots of light and air.which works good for the summer months.than come winter we cover them with smoke polycarb for winter.I have a small greenhouse.and even on a cold winter day.that Baby heats up.

thanks all. some good points there. I'm in eastern MA. So winters can get cold and summers can be hot and humid at times. Sounds like maybe using the clear panels for the top half of a wall might be a better idea than on the roof. That would put them in shade for the afternoon but still let the light in.

Back
Top Bottom