Roof or No Roof Over Run?

chickenmadness7

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
I am a new chicken owner and trying to do everything right for my babies. I have a shady 10 X 10 run that is covered with hard cloth to keep predators out. However, there's no actual roof to keep rain and snow out. Should I add a roof?

I really like covered runs, and try to use them when ever I can. If you have snow, a roof would be needed, should you choose to have a roof, to support the snow load. Tarps are ok with water, to a point, but not having to shovel out the snow for the birds in winter is worth quite a bit to the bird keeper, and the chickens like it as well.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

We had about half of our run tarped and then only wire on the rest of it. Sometimes the water was an issue when heavy rains.

yes that is true, tarps can only go so far. I was thinking of making my run with a removable roof for winter, and when it storms. but tarps work for quick temporary setup.
smile.png

I would say roof, to keep rain and snow out.

My run did not have a roof. After observing that the run getting muddy or snow covered, I built a "slab" of a roof that can be easily removed to allow sunlight.

Now, the slab stays on more than not. So yes, roof is better.

I have 2/3 unroofed and 1/3 roofed- the roofed side is the side that's gets 5 of 6 'walls' (floor, roof and N,E, and W -walls) It works well- in rain they go under cover and they still get sun throughout the day in different spots (heavy tree cover) .

I'm in FL so no snow expected.

My run is fully enclosed with chain link fence and chicken wire. We have a tarp for shade with a pvc pipe bowed underneath. The water runoff will go the direction you place the pvc. But, i know tarps are only temporary because of wear. Another thing that bothers me is that i'm a little nervous of little scavengers getting in. So i say either cover your run with bird netting or a solid roof. You can never be to careful.

Last edited:
We used a net for the roof, luckily the girls get loads of shade from a large maple tree so that was no worry. We have a ton of hawks around so we had to enclose them or risk losing our whole flock very quickly.

An option I decided upon for my run is heavy duty white canvas drop cloths... with a decent "slope" (3 or 4/12 pitch) they will shed rain and are as easy to put on and take off as tarps and will trap less heat in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom