Roost in front of window?

green_thumb

Songster
Jan 29, 2019
Central Ohio
Newbie here! :) I had posted a couple months ago for advice on coop design. While I fully intended on building, the costs added up quick and I was worried about construction in a timely manner as summer is also gardening season so I couldn’t pass up purchasing a used coop I found for a good price.

1F895B4A-32EA-435E-BD9B-76F5F6B529FA.jpeg

The exterior is in great shape but the inside needs some work in my opinion. Before I go any further, I want to note that I plan on power washing, sanitizing, and painting before the chicks move in!

B2BB9FF6-F1B5-4D71-AF8D-B6A8AC97FD56.jpeg

Here you can see how they put insulation up on the rear wall and covered it with 2x4s. The mice just had a heyday with that lovely provided housing so everything is coming out. While Ohio does get chilly, I had decided to not insulate or heat based on what I’ve read here and seeing the evidence of this “mice hotel” has affirmed my decision.

Anyways...I am also ripping out and replacing the existing roost. Ideally, I’d like it a little higher so I can fit a poop board underneath. My question is the long window. If I don’t plan on keeping the long window open in the winter (north facing, so most of the light would come from the south facing windows shown in the first pic), is it ok to have the roosts higher up in front of it? Not too drafty? I do plan on replacing the chicken wire with hardware cloth.

Any other suggestions? Hoping to put in linoleum, haven’t decided if I want sand or shavings on top of that.

IMG_20190421_182257221.jpg

I put as much of my roosting space as I could directly in front of windows. I have 2 foot roof overhangs so they will stay open all summer. If it's going to be overly windy and below 40 I'll close them. Otherwise it's lots of fresh air and ventilation and will help keep them cool in the hot summers.
The poop boards are counter height for easy scraping. I use a metal kitty litter scoop and the boards are covered with a mixture of play sand and Sweet PDZ.
I used Porch and Floor paint on the floor and poop board surfaces. My chickens tore up the linoleum in their old coop and they were hardly ever in there. They just used it to sleep in and lay eggs.

Last edited:
I put that plastic stuff you use for house windows that you tighten up with a hair dryer on my chickens window. But of coarse, my roost isn't right in front of the window so they can't peck at it. Maybe use the plastic on the outside.

Is that window blocked from outside?
Might put up some plexiglass in winter inside to block any drafts.

Nice coop....especially the roof overhangs!
Are the eaves open for ventilation?
Is that OSB on pop door wall covering insulation and mouse houses too?

Hello from OH!

Nice coop, and nice find!

As long as the birds are not in a draft, put the roosts wherever. for us, the prevailing winds come from the west, generally not from the north that often. If you are getting winds coming in that window, then make sure there is a way to block the wind. Plexiglass as @aart mentioned, would be a good addition. Maybe make it removable for the summer.

Good decision on removing the insulation. We don't have an insulated coop either, and it was certainly cold during that polar vortex, but that doesn't happen that often. Mice are a much more prevalent problem.

Is that window blocked from outside?
Might put up some plexiglass in winter inside to block any drafts.

Nice coop....especially the roof overhangs!
Are the eaves open for ventilation?
Is that OSB on pop door wall covering insulation and mouse houses too?

They are not currently open but I was thinking of cutting holes with a jig saw on the nest box side and lining with hardware cloth. Not a big enough overhang on the other side to make it worth it. Yes, insulation behind the osb as well- it wasn’t in as bad of shape because it was sealed better but it’s coming out anyways.

Hmmm...I’m not a huge fan of plexiglass. It’s often so cloudy here when the weather is cold I’m not sure even being able to have it open in the winter would be worth the extra effort. This is the exterior of that window:
302A5F8F-B071-4F74-8DDD-DFC5615054DE.jpeg

F519301E-895A-4534-A781-D023469DA6AD.jpeg

Hi Acre4Me! Thanks for the local input.

Hmmm...I’m not a huge fan of plexiglass. It’s often so cloudy here when the weather is cold I’m not sure even being able to have it open in the winter would be worth the extra effort. This is the exterior of that window:
I see, thanks.
Not sure you'd want it open in summer either...the way it's shown latched open, it's going to carry rain and roof run off right inside the coop opening.

Light is important to.
I'd replace the solid panel on that 'window' with plexiglass or lexan so you get light thru there all winter.
Looks like a nicely built 'door/cover' that should seal well for no drafts in winter.

I tack up cardboard over the lower parts of the windows near the roosts to block winter drafts....my windows are 'hacked and slashed' and do not 'seal' at all.

Just some thoughts.

View attachment 1755239
I put as much of my roosting space as I could directly in front of windows. I have 2 foot roof overhangs so they will stay open all summer. If it's going to be overly windy and below 40 I'll close them. Otherwise it's lots of fresh air and ventilation and will help keep them cool in the hot summers.
The poop boards are counter height for easy scraping. I use a metal kitty litter scoop and the boards are covered with a mixture of play sand and Sweet PDZ.
I used Porch and Floor paint on the floor and poop board surfaces. My chickens tore up the linoleum in their old coop and they were hardly ever in there. They just used it to sleep in and lay eggs.
I see that there are nails sticking down from when they put the roof on I don't know about your chickens, but mine tried to jump up to the ceiling. With that window up there on yours, they might try it. I would put something over them like maybe some of that thin wood or maybe some white lattice. Depending on how big your chickens are.

I see that there are nails sticking down from when they put the roof on I don't know about your chickens, but mine tried to jump up to the ceiling. With that window up there on yours, they might try it. I would put something over them like maybe some of that thin wood or maybe some white lattice. Depending on how big your chickens are.
When I put on the roof, I used the coil nails I had left over from many a roofing project. My chickens, all LF, cannot and will not try to fly up there. They all have clipped wings and know they can't make it. Heck, most of them can't make the flight up to the edge of the poop boards and take the ramp instead!

Back
Top Bottom