Rooster’s eyes pecked out by predator

Randysflock119

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2024
Hi all, I’ve had backyard chickens for 3 years and had my third hawk attack last night. Lost one of my 8 hens. When I found my rooster, he was tangled up in the fence and appeared to be dead. I realized he was breathing but called a neighbor to come put him out of his misery. But when my neighbor untangled him from the fence, he called out and ran away - turns out the poor boy has no visible injuries other than both eyes being pecked-scratched out. He is completely unable to see. Brought him in the warm garage and got him cozy. He drank some water last night and was able to move his head. I tried to clean his head with saline but he was very stressed by that so I stopped to give him some rest. Today he’s standing and moving around his enclosure a little bit. Hasn’t eaten much but he is responsive and breathing well. He has pooped in there too. I’m taking him to the vet tomorrow to see if anything can be done or if euthanasia is the best option. I have seen others on here would have rehabbed / raised blind chickens. My thinking is if he still appears to be fighting and wanting to figure out how to live as a blind rooster, maybe it’s worth it. For the record, I consider my chickens as pets (layers only) and I am pretty bonded with this rooster. He’s the only rooster, 8 (now 7) hens. Any feedback? Has anyone raised a blind chicken before or dealt with something similar? Or, when did you know it was time to put your chicken to sleep? Thank you!

Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry about your loss and the rooster.

Can you post photos of him, his face and eyes?

Are you sure both eyes are missing or are they swollen shut? Sometimes it may look like an eye (or two) may be gone/lost, but they are still intact.

Getting him to drink is good, sugar water or electrolytes can be given to give a boost. Once he's drinking, then offer a wet mash of feed if he's unable to really see, that will be easier to handle than trying to peck.

I don't have any experience with blind birds, but some do keep them. Chickens can often adapt to their surroundings. He may not be able to roam anymore - time will tell, but he probably can learn to navigate a coop/run, especially if there's a few hens about, they will maneuver by sound.

Welcome To BYC

Are you sure both eyes are missing or are they swollen shut? Sometimes it may look like an eye (or two) may be gone/lost, but they are still intact.

Getting him to drink is good, sugar water or electrolytes can be given to give a boost. Once he's drinking, then offer a wet mash of feed if he's unable to really see, that will be easier to handle than trying to peck.

I don't have any experience with blind birds, but some do keep them. Chickens can often adapt to their surroundings. He may not be able to roam anymore - time will tell, but he probably can learn to navigate a coop/run, especially if there's a few hens about, they will maneuver by sound.
Wyorp Rock, thank you for responding! I didn't even think about the possibility that his eyes might be swollen and that one or both of them could be okay. I will try to get some pics today.
This morning, I opened up the garage door to get him some fresh air (I had been keeping it closed because I didn't want him to be too cold here in northern IL). Not long after I opened the garage door, my boy stood up and crowed! He has been crowing on and off for the past 45 minutes or so. I think it's a good sign!
I will try the wet mash of food and maybe some other soft fruits and things he likes to see if that's easier than the dry crumble. Thank you!

Wyorp Rock, thank you for responding! I didn't even think about the possibility that his eyes might be swollen and that one or both of them could be okay. I will try to get some pics today.
This morning, I opened up the garage door to get him some fresh air (I had been keeping it closed because I didn't want him to be too cold here in northern IL). Not long after I opened the garage door, my boy stood up and crowed! He has been crowing on and off for the past 45 minutes or so. I think it's a good sign!
I will try the wet mash of food and maybe some other soft fruits and things he likes to see if that's easier than the dry crumble. Thank you!
Crowing is good!

If his eyes are swollen shut, use a warm compress to help get them open. Saline flush to the eyes to help clean them, then apply Terramycin eye ointment (found at TSC or online) or Original Neosporin in the eye and surrounding tissue. The ointment can help soften up scabbing and of course help fight infection as well.

Let's hope he's just bloodied and beaten up a bit and both eyes are o.k.

Hi all, I’ve had backyard chickens for 3 years and had my third hawk attack last night. Lost one of my 8 hens. When I found my rooster, he was tangled up in the fence and appeared to be dead. I realized he was breathing but called a neighbor to come put him out of his misery. But when my neighbor untangled him from the fence, he called out and ran away - turns out the poor boy has no visible injuries other than both eyes being pecked-scratched out. He is completely unable to see. Brought him in the warm garage and got him cozy. He drank some water last night and was able to move his head. I tried to clean his head with saline but he was very stressed by that so I stopped to give him some rest. Today he’s standing and moving around his enclosure a little bit. Hasn’t eaten much but he is responsive and breathing well. He has pooped in there too. I’m taking him to the vet tomorrow to see if anything can be done or if euthanasia is the best option. I have seen others on here would have rehabbed / raised blind chickens. My thinking is if he still appears to be fighting and wanting to figure out how to live as a blind rooster, maybe it’s worth it. For the record, I consider my chickens as pets (layers only) and I am pretty bonded with this rooster. He’s the only rooster, 8 (now 7) hens. Any feedback? Has anyone raised a blind chicken before or dealt with something similar? Or, when did you know it was time to put your chicken to sleep? Thank you!

I'm dealing with that currently myself except it wasn't a predator I believe it was one of the other roosters. And his eye looks just about the same it was open until today
Crowing is good!

If his eyes are swollen shut, use a warm compress to help get them open. Saline flush to the eyes to help clean them, then apply Terramycin eye ointment (found at TSC or online) or Original Neosporin in the eye and surrounding tissue. The ointment can help soften up scabbing and of course help fight infection as well.

Let's hope he's just bloodied and beaten up a bit and both eyes are o.k.
I read that Neosporin was good for around the eyes but not on the eyes.

Welcome To BYC

Wow I'm so sorry for your loss and hope your boy will be ok. It sounds like he may be seeing light if he started crowing when you opened the door. Hoping he is able to see. Please update us❤️🙏

Thank you all so much for the suggestions here. We did do the saline solution around his head. We wound up going to the vet on Thursday night and had good news! One eye was lost, but the other eyeball is still there! It's swollen still, but he had no other major injuries as far as the vet could tell.
We've been doing 3x/day antibiotics mixed in with the Harrison's Recovery food (a powder mixed with water) and pain killers 1x/day. I think it's helping! He seems to be improving but he is REALLY not enjoying the syringe-feeding. The first night he was still tired so he kind of tolerated it, but now that he's been on the painkillers since Thursday he's getting some of his spunk back and really fighting me on taking the food/meds from the syringe.
I have been swaddling him in a towel and holding him under my arm like a football (doing this solo). BUT, he's still not eating or drinking anything on his own, so it's a tricky situation. Any suggestions for getting him to eat? Or why he might not be eating/drinking? So far I've given him dry crumble, wet/mash crumble, birdseed, dried mealworms, and some of his favorite kitchen snacks: popcorn, apple slice, and spinach (not all at once of course). Hasn't touched a thing.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions here. We did do the saline solution around his head. We wound up going to the vet on Thursday night and had good news! One eye was lost, but the other eyeball is still there! It's swollen still, but he had no other major injuries as far as the vet could tell.
We've been doing 3x/day antibiotics mixed in with the Harrison's Recovery food (a powder mixed with water) and pain killers 1x/day. I think it's helping! He seems to be improving but he is REALLY not enjoying the syringe-feeding. The first night he was still tired so he kind of tolerated it, but now that he's been on the painkillers since Thursday he's getting some of his spunk back and really fighting me on taking the food/meds from the syringe.
I have been swaddling him in a towel and holding him under my arm like a football (doing this solo). BUT, he's still not eating or drinking anything on his own, so it's a tricky situation. Any suggestions for getting him to eat? Or why he might not be eating/drinking? So far I've given him dry crumble, wet/mash crumble, birdseed, dried mealworms, and some of his favorite kitchen snacks: popcorn, apple slice, and spinach (not all at once of course). Hasn't touched a thing

I have been swaddling him in a towel and holding him under my arm like a football (doing this solo). BUT, he's still not eating or drinking anything on his own, so it's a tricky situation. Any suggestions for getting him to eat? Or why he might not be eating/drinking? So far I've given him dry crumble, wet/mash crumble, birdseed, dried mealworms, and some of his favorite kitchen snacks: popcorn, apple slice, and spinach (not all at once of course). Hasn't touched a thing.
Aww poor baby I hate that he has lost an eye💔 thanks for updating us. I would give him some nutra drench, it comes in a bottle with a dropper you can find it a TSC and maybe try some scrambled eggs?

I agree with CrazyChickLady64, scrambled eggs or just a raw egg yolk usually works for me. I put the yolk in a small bowl and usually the girls always go for it. Leave it whole (unbroken), they seem to like to pop the yolk themselves and when they see it run and taste it, game on! Granted I have only fed raw yolks to ailing hens, not roo's but worth a try. Cooked and cooled oatmeal with raisins and a little sugar for a pick me up has also worked wonders. Plain Greek yogurt is a hit or miss. All my chickens love blueberries. When they are not eating well, I will cut them in half or quarters just to make it easy for them. You can put an array of food on a paper plate and let him pick and choose. He may eat a bit when you're not around. He definitely needs energy so you can feed him those cooked scrambled eggs. Much easier than syringe feeding and he will probably enjoy those. If he won't eat anything on his own I would definitely try feeding him scrambled eggs :fl fingers crossed he starts feeling better soon. Keep us posted. I'm thinking of you and your roo.

Back
Top Bottom