Rooster’s eyes pecked out by predator

We wound up going to the vet on Thursday night and had good news! One eye was lost, but the other eyeball is still there! It's swollen still, but he had no other major injuries as far as the vet could tell.
We've been doing 3x/day antibiotics mixed in with the Harrison's Recovery food (a powder mixed with water) and pain killers 1x/day. I think it's helping! He seems to be improving but he is REALLY not enjoying the syringe-feeding.
Thank you for the update, I'm glad you were able to see the vet and have him treated.

Does he have any other injuries? Is his crop emptying?

Sometimes when they have had trauma it can take a little while for them to come around and eat.

Mare made a video of how to crop/tube feed, you may want to check that out. I would use a larger towel or cloth to capture the wings on a rooster.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-to-tube-severely-molting-hen.1437023/post-23839502

How to crop feed.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

I agree with CrazyChickLady64, scrambled eggs or just a raw egg yolk usually works for me. I put the yolk in a small bowl and usually the girls always go for it. Leave it whole (unbroken), they seem to like to pop the yolk themselves and when they see it run and taste it, game on! Granted I have only fed raw yolks to ailing hens, not roo's but worth a try. Cooked and cooled oatmeal with raisins and a little sugar for a pick me up has also worked wonders. Plain Greek yogurt is a hit or miss. All my chickens love blueberries. When they are not eating well, I will cut them in half or quarters just to make it easy for them. You can put an array of food on a paper plate and let him pick and choose. He may eat a bit when you're not around. He definitely needs energy so you can feed him those cooked scrambled eggs. Much easier than syringe feeding and he will probably enjoy those. If he won't eat anything on his own I would definitely try feeding him scrambled eggs :fl fingers crossed he starts feeling better soon. Keep us posted. I'm thinking of you and your roo.
Thank you both! I'm going to try to egg yolk tomorrow morning! Maybe scrambled and raw to give options.

No other injuries other than the eye. The vet said his crop felt empty on Thursday. I'm looking forward to checking out the feeding videos.

He's definitely improving. I carried him over by the run to visit the hens today and they were clucking like crazy - truly happy to see him. He perked up and started clucking right back! As long as I can get him eating I think he's going to pull through this.

Thank you both! I'm going to try to egg yolk tomorrow morning! Maybe scrambled and raw to give options.

No other injuries other than the eye. The vet said his crop felt empty on Thursday. I'm looking forward to checking out the feeding videos.

He's definitely improving. I carried him over by the run to visit the hens today and they were clucking like crazy - truly happy to see him. He perked up and started clucking right back! As long as I can get him eating I think he's going to pull through this.
That's wonderful news! I'm happy for you and your boy. Maybe a daily visit with the ladies is what he needs to give him that extra boost.

I carried him over by the run to visit the hens today and they were clucking like crazy - truly happy to see him. He perked up and started clucking right back! As long as I can get him eating I think he's going to pull through this.
Feed him near the girls or bring in a couple of his favorite hens to visit him...
A rooster is usually always going to try to impress the ladies.

Yesterday was Randy the rooster's first day back in the chicken run. He was very happy to be back with the girls and they were so happy too. They were able to help him find food by clucking to one another and he started eating much better.
The run is chain-link - covered and gated, completely enclosed with the sides reinforced against digging. In three years, I have never had a predator get into the run while the gate was closed. I have even had a hen or two accidentally get locked out by the automatic coop door and spent the night out in the run without getting hurt.

With a heavy heart, I'm posting that last night was an unfortunate first. As I finished up my dinner, I noticed the hens had gone into the coop and I saw Randy standing in the run. I thought to myself "It's probably about time to bring him in the garage to give him his medications." I figured he should spend one more night in the garage so I could make sure he got all 5 days of meds in. I decided I should bring the meds with me, so I crushed up the antibiotics pills and loaded up the syringes with the food, pain killers, and antibiotics - about 5 minutes. It was still light outside (sun was going down) but I truly thought he was safe inside the closed run. Of course if there had been any doubt in my mind I would not have left him there.

By the time I got out to the run, raccoons had - for the first time ever - pried apart the corner of the chain-link fence on the gate and made a meal of my sweet boy. It was a complete shock. I didn't even hear anything.

I'm absolutely heartbroken. The vet told me the Randy's vision would be limited and that it would be harder for him to defend himself or to know when a predator was nearby... I just didn't think it would happen so fast.

Thank you to everyone who's followed here to see Randy recover from the hawk attack - I appreciate all the advice from the bottom of my heart. I'm so proud of him for making such a strong recovery and I'm grateful for the bond we got to have during his final days. If you think of it, please say a prayer for my rooster today. Thank you so much.💔

Attachments

• IMG_8893.jpg
    IMG_8893.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 6
Yesterday was Randy the rooster's first day back in the chicken run. He was very happy to be back with the girls and they were so happy too. They were able to help him find food by clucking to one another and he started eating much better.
The run is chain-link - covered and gated, completely enclosed with the sides reinforced against digging. In three years, I have never had a predator get into the run while the gate was closed. I have even had a hen or two accidentally get locked out by the automatic coop door and spent the night out in the run without getting hurt.

With a heavy heart, I'm posting that last night was an unfortunate first. As I finished up my dinner, I noticed the hens had gone into the coop and I saw Randy standing in the run. I thought to myself "It's probably about time to bring him in the garage to give him his medications." I figured he should spend one more night in the garage so I could make sure he got all 5 days of meds in. I decided I should bring the meds with me, so I crushed up the antibiotics pills and loaded up the syringes with the food, pain killers, and antibiotics - about 5 minutes. It was still light outside (sun was going down) but I truly thought he was safe inside the closed run. Of course if there had been any doubt in my mind I would not have left him there.

By the time I got out to the run, raccoons had - for the first time ever - pried apart the corner of the chain-link fence on the gate and made a meal of my sweet boy. It was a complete shock. I didn't even hear anything.

I'm absolutely heartbroken. The vet told me the Randy's vision would be limited and that it would be harder for him to defend himself or to know when a predator was nearby... I just didn't think it would happen so fast.

Thank you to everyone who's followed here to see Randy recover from the hawk attack - I appreciate all the advice from the bottom of my heart. I'm so proud of him for making such a strong recovery and I'm grateful for the bond we got to have during his final days. If you think of it, please say a prayer for my rooster today. Thank you so much.💔
I am so very sorry. I was lurking on this thread. My heart breaks for you. He was a handsome fellow. In his last days you showed him great love and care. Sending you and your flock prayers and strength enough to have grace through this tough time.

Honey, I am so sorry. What heartbreaking news. You did an awesome job with him and sometimes despite our greatest efforts and what we want, the Lord knows different. Everything happens for a reason. His life may have been extremely difficult and uncomfortable, something we wouldn't know but the Lord did. And as awful as predator attacks are, lessons are learned which hopefully prevent future attacks. Like now you know about that weak area of your enclosure. Often times, we don't know until it's too late. Time to thoroughly check all around and secure as needed. I know it's hard, just remember what a loving chicken owner you are and they KNOW it! And even through the rough times, we learn and grow. Sending hugs! And prayers.

:hugs I'm so sorry to hear about Randy, what a pretty boy.

Honey, I am so sorry. What heartbreaking news. You did an awesome job with him and sometimes despite our greatest efforts and what we want, the Lord knows different. Everything happens for a reason. His life may have been extremely difficult and uncomfortable, something we wouldn't know but the Lord did. And as awful as predator attacks are, lessons are learned which hopefully prevent future attacks. Like now you know about that weak area of your enclosure. Often times, we don't know until it's too late. Time to thoroughly check all around and secure as needed. I know it's hard, just remember what a loving chicken owner you are and they KNOW it! And even through the rough times, we learn and grow. Sending hugs! And prayers.
I wish you could know the comfort your message has given me. Thank you so much. 🙏💚

Back
Top Bottom