Rooster breed comparisons

starfroggie

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Walla Walla
I got some straight run chicks and so far have turned out with 50% hens to roos ratio, which I am pretty happy with. That gives me the number of hens I aimed for from the beginning. My dilemma now is which rooster to keep. I live in town so it may very well just depend on how loud any of them turn out to be. I have 1 of each that I will try and decide between; Cochin, Faverolle, Polish. I like each of them but I know that 3 roos to 5 hens is just way too many! Any tips or suggestions are welcome, esp if they are breed traits that I should be aware of. This is my first time owning chickens. I only have 2 Polish, the other one is a little pullet. Will the two Polish need each other? The Faverolle roo so far is my favorite bird, he is very curious and friendly and easy to handle (so far...they are all only a month old)

I had a White Crested Blue Polish pair and the roo was creating such havic that I culled him. Now everyone love the hen! She hangs out with some silkies and duccles and a randy Cochin bantam roo.

If you really like them,keep them awhile and wait til the roosters get closer to maturity(maybe 12 weeks+),then decide what you want to keep.The temperments may change alot from now til then.Meanwhile you got some time to decide the others destiny.
Will

The cochin roos we've had have been mild mannered nice birds. The two polish roosters we've had were terrors. They attacked any and everything in the barnyard. Flighty little creatures that refused to be tamed regardless of handling. That being said every chicken is different your's may be the sweetest chicken ever. They wont start crowing for a while so keep them and see which personality fits you best.

thanks for the feedback
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom