Bigbluefrog

Songster
Aug 9, 2019
Central Wisconsin
I have a one year old Buff Orpington.
He has charged at me two times. Both times I was wearing red or pink. And both times a hen was squaking- in distress.
It is our first rooster. We got him at 6 months. I was not able to hold him much as he was not hand raised.
Someone said to hold the rooster- well I am not that fast- we tried to catch him- that didn’t work.
Rooster is young and doesn’t have spurs yet.
So I read most of the posts here-
But I was wondering is red a trigger or just the hen calling.

I am hoping this charging behavior ends- but to be safe the birds stay in their enclosed yard when the grandkids are here.

After the first charge he came at me flying- kinda startled me and I blocked him with my foot. Then I made the mistake of turning and he chased me- sigh it is tough but I stopped and faced him- said knock it off. I wasn’t even inside the coop or the run but in the yard.
So now he fell back because I stopped his attack but I didn’t want him to think it was okay to attack the one who feeds them.
so I grabbed a broom more for my safety and just walked back inside his run and tried to be bold (I was a bit unraveled) and he was back to his meek self.
Previous post suggested to hold him- ha! As if I could catch him.
So is color a trigger? Or more the one hen squaking. (Btw I wasn’t even by the hen when he attacked).
Yesterday he charged I was wearing a pink shirt over a tang top. When he charged I took off the pink top and flung it at him. He stopped.
Maybe 🤔 I need to wear red tomorrow and catch him mid air and hold the Buff Orpington.
Secondly is this an age thing? Because he is a year now- he has been mating with the ladies since 6 months.
I am not ready to give up on him. My husband and dog have had no issues with the rooster.
And the Roo didn’t charge me today at all but I was wearing blue.
No hens were squaking either.

If he's flogged you once, in my opinion he'll flog you again. And in my personal experience a rooster can hurt you way more than you think he can. Not just with spurs, but with those claws AND the beak. A child's eyes are at beak level, consider that. And he can easily fly up to the level of your face as well. Ask me how I know. One of my roosters flogged me from behind, taking me completely by surprise, and when I turned to face him, he smacked me just below the knee with his beak and raking my bare legs with his claws and spurs. I was wearing shorts. It felt like being slammed full force with the claw end of a hammer and nearly took me down. I had my cane and we were in mortal combat for several minutes till my husband intervened. I was trying to take his head off and he just kept coming. I never thought I would be afraid of a stupid bird, but I was. I was crying with pain and rage. I was so mad, I didn't even want to make soup out of him. I had my husband toss his carcass at the end of the property for the raccoons and coyotes.

You can try to rehab your rooster or play guessing games about what's likely to set him off, but my guess is one fine day you'll trade that broom for a shotgun and take care of him good and proper. And with any luck you'll replace him with a roo you can trust. Good luck.

If he's flogged you once, in my opinion he'll flog you again.
If he's flogged you once, in my opinion he'll flog you again. And in my personal experience a rooster can hurt you way more than you think he can. Not just with spurs, but with those claws AND the beak. A child's eyes are at beak level, consider that. And he can easily fly up to the level of your face as well. Ask me how I know. One of my roosters flogged me from behind, taking me completely by surprise, and when I turned to face him, he smacked me just below the knee with his beak and raking my bare legs with his claws and spurs. I was wearing shorts. It felt like being slammed full force with the claw end of a hammer and nearly took me down. I had my cane and we were in mortal combat for several minutes till my husband intervened. I was trying to take his head off and he just kept coming. I never thought I would be afraid of a stupid bird, but I was. I was crying with pain and rage. I was so mad, I didn't even want to make soup out of him. I had my husband toss his carcass at the end of the property for the raccoons and coyotes.

You can try to rehab your rooster or play guessing games about what's likely to set him off, but my guess is one fine day you'll trade that broom for a shotgun and take care of him good and proper. And with any luck you'll replace him with a roo you can trust. Good luck.
Sorry to hear you were hurt. Yes I would do the same. Actually been considering it- I read something about some Roosters can be corrected. So I will try that first- but am willing to put him down if need be.
He didn’t hurt me. I blocked his attack.
He is a good rooster as far as caring for the hens. He will sit with one as she lays her eggs. He will keep them together and will leave the flock to make sure all the hens are together.

This poultry raising has taught me many things- one is don’t get too attached -
The rooster was not hand raised. So that could be part of it.

I have a one year old Buff Orpington.
He has charged at me two times. Both times I was wearing red or pink. And both times a hen was squaking- in distress.
It is our first rooster. We got him at 6 months. I was not able to hold him much as he was not hand raised.
Someone said to hold the rooster- well I am not that fast- we tried to catch him- that didn’t work.
Rooster is young and doesn’t have spurs yet.
So I read most of the posts here-
But I was wondering is red a trigger or just the hen calling.

I am hoping this charging behavior ends- but to be safe the birds stay in their enclosed yard when the grandkids are here.

After the first charge he came at me flying- kinda startled me and I blocked him with my foot. Then I made the mistake of turning and he chased me- sigh it is tough but I stopped and faced him- said knock it off. I wasn’t even inside the coop or the run but in the yard.
So now he fell back because I stopped his attack but I didn’t want him to think it was okay to attack the one who feeds them.
so I grabbed a broom more for my safety and just walked back inside his run and tried to be bold (I was a bit unraveled) and he was back to his meek self.
Previous post suggested to hold him- ha! As if I could catch him.
So is color a trigger? Or more the one hen squaking. (Btw I wasn’t even by the hen when he attacked).
Yesterday he charged I was wearing a pink shirt over a tang top. When he charged I took off the pink top and flung it at him. He stopped.
Maybe 🤔 I need to wear red tomorrow and catch him mid air and hold the Buff Orpington.
Secondly is this an age thing? Because he is a year now- he has been mating with the ladies since 6 months.
I am not ready to give up on him. My husband and dog have had no issues with the rooster.
And the Roo didn’t charge me today at all but I was wearing blue.
No hens were squaking either.
What exactly do you mean when you write he charged at you?
Did he run at you with his wings spread and head low?
Did his feet leave the ground when he got close to you?
What exactly does he do when he reaches you after his charge?

I’m going to go against the grain now. My mature good rooster had never once shown any sign of aggression until he hears me grab a hen and she started panicking. He came charging over ready for a fight to save his girl until he saw it was me. He followed me and watched me for the next two days and now everything is totally back to normal. I have had an aggressive roo. There is a difference between a jerk and a good rooster trying to protect his girls.

With that said, if his behavior doesn’t start, rehoming or culling are the other options. Personally I don’t feel holding him does anything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom