Rooster doesn't recognize me if my hood is up

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
My roo, Darl, was really after my feet yesterday. It was a cold and windy day, so I had my hood up.

Today, it's not as cold, a light breeze. I left my hood down, and he acted like I was "The giant who brings food," which is to say, interested, but ignoring me.

Thinking back on the last couple times he went for my feet, I bet my hood was up. Even though I sing the same "chickie snack" song every time, it seems that the hood confuses him as to who I am. He isn't the sharpest beak in the flock. The girls all know who I am, no matter what I wear. I am willing to forego the hood. I'll try a hat or a headband to see if he recognizes me with those.

I don't want to have to push him away with the Rooster Stick all the time; it seems like an antagonistic thing to do. Chasing to catch and hold him down gets everyone riled up, and with all the clutter in the run, I'm afraid I'd trip and fall. He's fast, I'm slow. And, it didn't seem to work as far as teaching him I'm the boss.

Anyone else experienced a roo reacting to you differently, based on what you're wearing on your head?

My rooster used to get confused if I wore a different color of pants, I kid you not. I realized that I'd been doing morning chicken chores in flannel PJ's (mostly in red patterns). I solved it by showing up in as many different colors and textures as possible for awhile and eventually he calmed down and figured it out :)

I bet it's the hood too. It's been dropping below freezing with high winds so I've been walking into the barn with my hood up. My chickens when I squat down will usually all come running and allow me to pet them, but if my hood is up they act like I've come to kidnap them. My ducks that I've had for years could care less, but my younger ducks also freak out when I have my hood up.

I would not change my attire for chickens.

After reading about people having trouble with new clothing that way I decided that I'd wear as many different kinds of clothes while tending the chickens as possible so that they'd never get accustomed to just one.

The only thing I keep consistent is my muck boots and when they wear out in 10 years or so I'll probably get an identical pair simply because I buy practical men's boots to fit my wide feet anyway instead of cute women's boots. :D

Back
Top Bottom