Rooster Fight

MamaHen939

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 18, 2016
Hi, I have a few questions regarding what to do in response to a fight between my 2 roosters. I have a 3 year old Brahma (Chaunticlair) and a 1.5 year old mixed breed that hatched on our farm (Luca). At one point I had 5 roosters (not intentional) and somehow never had any issues with them fighting amongst each other. I've been down to just Luca and Chaunticlair for over a year now and they have been the dream team in my opinion - never bothering any one, doing their job, respecting the girls, etc. Well the other night I came home from work to find Chaunticlair hiding in a corner of our coop, covered in blood. My first thought was he fought off a predator (he has beaten a hawk before to save a hen), but then I noticed Luca had similar injuries, although not as extensive. Luca was also sitting in his usual spot on the roost with the girls. So I cleaned Chaunticlair up as best I could and started him on oral meloxicam and applied terramycin to his one eye that was swollen shut. His eye is less swollen and the eyeball itself seems okay. However, he still has a heavy limp, I think due to one of his spurs being "torn" where the base meets his foot. He also is now terrified to go out of the barn, even when I put Luca in a giant dog crate to keep him contained. So my questions are:
- Is there anything natural/herb-wise that can help with pain and inflammation, or should I stay the course with the meloxicam until he is better?
- Should I add anything antibiotic-wise? If so, what is safe/recommended for birds?
- Is there a good way to reintroduce him to the flock? I don't want to leave the girls without protection by locking Luca up if Chaunticlair won't go out with them, but I also don't want Chaunticlair to be afraid because Luca is out or risk Luca beating him up again.

Back
Top Bottom