Rooster/Flock Advice Needed

We've already had to slaughter three extra roos, so we've got that learning curve under our belt. Hoping for a broody hen, since we have a silkie, and we're working on space for brooding, integrating new chicks. Now if I could just figure out why they all are ganging up on one hen. She has one eye that is different and I'm wondering if that is why.

Food for thought: I believe I read on here somewhere that the Silkie roo/non bantam Breed hen won't result in as many fertile eggs. I haven't checked my leghorn hens' eggs lately so I'm not sure that's the case.

As much as I love my silky boy, I vote the Maran.

We've already had to slaughter three extra roos, so we've got that learning curve under our belt. Hoping for a broody hen, since we have a silkie, and we're working on space for brooding, integrating new chicks. Now if I could just figure out why they all are ganging up on one hen. She has one eye that is different and I'm wondering if that is why.
Could be...wonders if that eye was damaged in the chaos of too many males?
Ill, weak, or injured birds can be 'drummed from the flock'.
How big is your coop and run ....in feet by feet?

coop is 13 x 10
yard is 50 x 40

Will she always be picked on and excluded? If so, what should I do? Right now she is separated from the rest to give her some peace, and maybe build some confidence. She is so timid.

Since you do process your roosters, she may be a candidate to join that group.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom