Rooster from straight run

jtotherow

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
Fort Mill SC
I got three roos in a 5 str. Two are perfect Rhode Island Red. 1 has deformed feet. He walks fine but looks like his feet have been broken and are looking pidgeon toed. Do I have to put him down? People around here said the others will fight hime and eventually kill him. Is this true?

Looks like ouch! I'm guessing maybe a Riboflavin deficiency in his or parents' diet caused the toe problem. There is a section on this on the Poultry Podiatry page.Right away, try significant supplementing of Riboflavin & any other nutrients you think may be deficient.
Gradual toe taping along with supplementing may also help. I'm not sure about shoes--he may be too grown up??
I myself have not heard of chickens specifically picking on an older bird because of a foot problem.
Best wishes
hugs.gif

p.s. CutlerFam--Thanks for spreading the word about PoultryPedia.com! I hope to keep improving info there to be increasingly helpful. I appreciate hearing any suggestions from anyone, as well, if you ever read something you have ideas about for the Podiatry page.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom