Rooster is lame

Rick&Chris

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2018
Southeast PA (Bucks County)
I posted a week or so ago about my rooster - I was feeding all of my birds layer pellet (Please go easy on me - I’ve had chickens for 4 years and he’s my 2nd rooster, first one was killed by a fox). I had NO idea they couldn’t all eat the same food. I feel awful if I caused this. I switched them to all flock 20% over a month ago.

It appears that whatever his issues are may have been caused by too much calcium? I’ve been giving him B Complex and he seemed to be getting better. Now I’m told he might have Rickets. I’ve called many vets up to 1.5 hours away to get bloodwork drawn. Nobody can see him for 2+ months as he is a new patient.

He is very thin, barely eats but has nice poops. He’s slow to get moving, sitting on his hocks and scooching. Once he is on his feet, he stumbles a little, and then walks fine - but still has a hard time with big steps up and going up the ramp. If he does have rickets, what can I do for pain management or to help him? Again - I have no vet that can see him 😩

Appreciate any and all input!

Thank you for saying that, I hope you’re right! I’m beating myself up over this.

I had him checked for worms when I first noticed he was losing weight, no worms found. I did see that he had mites, so everyone was treated, including the coop.

What are your suggestions on the amount and frequency of the B complex? Attached is a pic of what I am giving him (1/2cc orally)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 8
Thank you for saying that, I hope you’re right! I’m beating myself up over this.

I had him checked for worms when I first noticed he was losing weight, no worms found. I did see that he had mites, so everyone was treated, including the coop.

What are your suggestions on the amount and frequency of the B complex? Attached is a pic of what I am giving him (1/2cc orally)
I've never used that brand of b compared, I usually use people vitamins and of that, I recommend a third of a tablet. Its hard to od on b complex and he needs it.

I took am almost certain layer feed isn't the issue.
Do you happen to feed treats daily or often?

Can you take a short video of him and upload it to YouTube real quick?

I took am almost certain layer feed isn't the issue.
Do you happen to feed treats daily or often?

Can you take a short video of him and upload it to YouTube real quick?
They don’t get a lot of treats. Sunflower seed hearts to get them in the coop after they’ve been out, fruits/veggies, occasionally pasta - but he’s more interested in feeding the girls than eating it himself. Let me know if you can see the attached photo of his squatting. Once I pick him up he’ll walk.

Let me know if you can see the video

Attachments

• IMG_7380.jpeg
    IMG_7380.jpeg
    934.1 KB · Views: 9
They don’t get a lot of treats. Sunflower seed hearts to get them in the coop after they’ve been out, fruits/veggies, occasionally pasta - but he’s more interested in feeding the girls than eating it himself. Let me know if you can see the attached photo of his squatting. Once I pick him up he’ll walk.

Let me know if you can see the video

This sounds like a lot of treats to me.
If I were you, I'd never feed pasta again and I would limit the fruits and veggies to one tiny spoonful worth per bird per day. Otherwise you're overfeeding treats.
Overfeeding treats can take away from the bird getting a balanced diet.
Not getting a balanced diet can cause issues like you're seeing.
Hopefully it is just an nutrition deficiency that he's suffering from and not something like Marek's disease.

This sounds like a lot of treats to me.
If I were you, I'd never feed pasta again and I would limit the fruits and veggies to one tiny spoonful worth per bird per day. Otherwise you're overfeeding treats.
Overfeeding treats can take away from the bird getting a balanced diet.
Not getting a balanced diet can cause issues like you're seeing.
Hopefully it is just a nutrition deficiency that he's suffering from and not something like Marek's disease.
I don’t think they get a lot of treats. It’s not everyday. Once a week they get scrambled eggs, oatmeal in the winter. For the sunflower seeds - maybe a 1/4 cup between 7 birds - not everyday. Everyone is fine but him / he barely eats the treats.

Back
Top Bottom