Rooster or Hen? Thoughts on de-sexing?

Pics

ChirpyBrooke

In the Brooder
May 24, 2023
Hello All!

First of all, THANK YOU for this forum! Im new this year to backyard chickens and even though I tried to make sure to get only pullets, I think 1 male squeaked through. Can you please help me identify? Also, if he is indeed a rooster, I would like to know your thoughts about de-sexing? I 100% do not want fertilized eggs and do not want to kill him just for being male. I also know how difficult it is to rehome roosters so I was wondering if either chemical or surgical castration might be the way to go instead?

These are 7 week old Black Australorp chicks. I have also attached pics with him side by side his/her flock mates to compare.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 3.JPEG
    3.JPEG
    385.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 4.JPEG
    4.JPEG
    393.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 1.JPEG
    1.JPEG
    288.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.JPEG
    2.JPEG
    316.6 KB · Views: 26
Is there a specific reason you don't want fertilized eggs? A capon would still crow, and is something usually reserved for meat birds
Hello fluffycrow. We are vegetarian and do not wish to eat a fertilized egg. Also, i am perfectly fine with crowing.

Is there a specific reason you don't want fertilized eggs? A capon would still crow, and is something usually reserved for meat birds
Yep, 100% this

Having butchered and seen the inside of many birds, I'm sure the surgery to get to the birds testes is very invasive, expensive and hard to find someone to do it

aside from being fertile, there is zero difference between a fertile egg and a non fertile egg. You just need to make sure to collect your eggs everyday. We have been selling eating eggs that are fertile for years without issue.

They offer no crow collars and you can see some in action on YouTube. I've never used one but they do seem to work.

Hello fluffycrow. We are vegetarian and do not wish to eat a fertilized egg. Also, i am perfectly fine with crowing.
Eating a fertilized egg dissent mean you're eating meat.
If the actual incubation hasn't started, there is no meat inside the egg. (Unless you get a meat spot, but that's a completely other topic.) It just has the *potential* to grow into a baby chick.

If you take a look here, I think you'll be surprised that you have most likely unknowingly consumed quite a few fertile eggs if you've ever bought free range or cage free from the store.
Thank you BastyPutt. I do not doubt that I have accidentally eaten a fertile egg in my lifetime. I was also not born a vegetarian. I became one by choice and am now choosing to raise my own chickens to ensure I do not eat fertilized eggs.

100% My first choice is for him to be who he was born to be on a free range farm with 100 hens for his choosing. I have a post out in my neighborhood app for rehoming but I am just looking for options if I am not able to rehome.

Also, no one has officially said, rooster or hen yet? :)

Back
Top Bottom