Rooster question

Tikatakawitha

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2024
I searched and didn't find another thread. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm not sure. I don't have a rooster, but I'm thinking for the future.

If I have different breeds of hens and a rooster, will he only breed with the same as him? Or will he go after any hen he sees?

I searched and didn't find another thread. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm not sure. I don't have a rooster, but I'm thinking for the future.

If I have different breeds of hens and a rooster, will he only breed with the same as him? Or will he go after any hen he sees?
It's all fair game. My neighbor who has Brahmas (huge chickens) took a little white silkie rooster I was going to cull as he was so mean and nasty to every chicken I owned, drawing blood even. It took about six months, but he figured out how to jump on the feeder, then wait for a hen to walk by. The hens would duck down a little so he could get on. He never fertilized a single egg as she incubated a bunch, but at least it was hilarious to watch.

Good question. You are not the first to ask. What is stupid is to have a question that may affect your flock and not ask it.

Breeds are a manmade thing. They are not natural. A chicken sees a chicken. Sometimes you do see some segregation, but that is generally based more on different personalities than anything else.

There are always exceptions to anything. I had a broody hen that rejected back chicks but raised red chicks fine. What was weird was that was her second brood that year. Her first brood was mixed black and red and she did fine with all of them. Sometimes you just scratch your head and wonder why.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom