Rooster rejecting new hens

GreenHaven

Songster
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I have (had) two flocks each with a rooster. One became human aggressive, and he is in the freezer. That was a very small (4 hens) flock). I am trying to integrate them into my other flock and the rooster is not having it. They were side by side for a long while, and each have their own feeders, shelters and so on. Lots of space to get away from each other. Every time they get near, the roo chases them off. I have seen them submit, but he’s not mating them, he just pulls a bunch of feathers out and pecks them in the head. . I’m thinking he’s going to kill them. Do I dispatch him to the freezer? It’s been a week and I notice my hens are in their coop - not normal for them. I don’t really need a rooster - but he was accidental and not aggressive before this.

If you want to give him a chance you could separate him until the hens are integrated, if after a week or 2 of separation he doesn't clean up his act, or you feel he's had his chance, I'd cull him. A rooster that's aggressive to humans or hens is a
major no-go

The only reason I’ve kept him is he was so gentle. Never has he even pecked me. But I’m dismayed by his response to the new hens. He has only 6 so I thought he’d be a happy boy. Guess you never know. I could separate him - I actually didn’t think of that. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom