Rooster Saved My Whole Flock

Status
Not open for further replies.
You had such a nice rooster. I like knowing all of them are stinkers. The ones I've been around have been aggressive or just bossy.
The one now isn't to bad, he's just mischievous.

Great story except of course for Nathan. In my limited experience raising birds, 50% of roosters are good and the rest... well... not so much. 100% of mine are always good looking which makes separation tough.

I wish I had a digital photo of my favorite rooster Nathan, but this was before the time of iPhones. He was a silver laced Wyandotte who was kind to me, the hens, and all the little kids who always wanted to pet him. I was very lucky. I had three roos at that time, and around 30 hens. Nathan was about 6 years old when I came out to the coop in the morning, and saw three dead raccoons. Laid near the dead raccoons was also a dead Nathan. They had entered the coop, and it seems as if Nathan chased them out and gored them. All of my hens and 2 remaining roos were safe inside the coop, huddled together and very visibly uncomfortable and upset. I bawled my eyes out, and we had a funeral for him and his courage. To any new chicken folks who are worried about predators, there are tons of things you can do structure wise to keep them at bay. But in my opinion, my roosters have always been there for the flock in times when I can’t.

A good rooster will block the door of the coop and fight anything that dares to pass. It’s amazing how selfless a good rooster is. Calls hens to food but won’t eat it, fights animals. It’s crazy.

I wish I had a digital photo of my favorite rooster Nathan, but this was before the time of iPhones. He was a silver laced Wyandotte who was kind to me, the hens, and all the little kids who always wanted to pet him. I was very lucky. I had three roos at that time, and around 30 hens. Nathan was about 6 years old when I came out to the coop in the morning, and saw three dead raccoons. Laid near the dead raccoons was also a dead Nathan. They had entered the coop, and it seems as if Nathan chased them out and gored them. All of my hens and 2 remaining roos were safe inside the coop, huddled together and very visibly uncomfortable and upset. I bawled my eyes out, and we had a funeral for him and his courage. To any new chicken folks who are worried about predators, there are tons of things you can do structure wise to keep them at bay. But in my opinion, my roosters have always been there for the flock in times when I can’t.
Trouble is, you can't have a rooster in the city (coucil won't let you. Neighbours don't like the wake up call). But i've always found having a dog around is the answer to foxes, anyway. Just the dog-smell seems to keep them away. And i've never had one who wasn't very relieible with the chooks fully grown. We've only had two chicks (half grown from school) and that was a disaster when the dachshund was still almost a pup, so can hardly be blamed

I agree I have lost three roos that were protecting the flock and recently one protected the flock and narrowly escaped beign killed by a coyote. I am a firm beleiver in GOOD roos. I won't keep one that is not caring of the hens and friendly with people. But if they are and will get along with other roos I won't cull them. as long as they are getting along I have no problem with multiple roos. I am very lucky with my bantam flock and have 7 roos with my boy chewie being the overall boss.

We have had several such roosters over the years, but one stands out in my dusty memory. He was a Silver Duckwing Araucana. We kept a pair of Burmese Red Junglefowl and the rooster was as vicious as a mad pit bull. Since pure junglefowl usually lay but one clutch a year, the eggs were very valuable. The junglefowl lived by themselves in an old rabbit pen and I had to be very careful when stealing the eggs. One fine day, the Junglefowl cock slipped past the door and flew straight at my face and tore open my lower lip. I spun around as he hit the ground and was preparing for another attach when, out of nowhere came my old Araucana rooster. He jumped right onto the junglefowl and kept the JF busy until I could get my net and place him back into his pen. The Araucana then went about his business as if nothing had happened. Luckily, I didn't need any stitches and learned my lesson well: Never trust a "wild animal"! Soon after the incident, I took the JF pair to the feed store and traded them for a couple of bags of feed. The last I heard was that the JF rooster went to Mexico, was dubbed and fought as a light weight game fowl. He was undefeated and lived out his days in luxury, "South of the Border". The Araucana remained in charge and fathered many clutches of fine, blue egg fowl...

I have been having hens coming up missing even one rooster and the other day there was a bunch of commotion and in the lack of communication I assumed my boyfriend was right there as he did the same ... turned out I went to shut up the coop and my penny boy wasn’t there .... we found his feathers in multiple places so there’s no doubt between the sounds we heard and the amount of feathers we found he didn’t fight it with his whole life. He always protected his flock... of roosters and hens ... im so sad still over this but I’m glad I had such a loyal and dedicated loving rooster

I wish I had kept one of my roosters because he was so smart and friendly. I have 10 hens and they are enclosed in a fenced area... so far no predators and I have had them 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom